View Single Post
Skunk works

Garage
Two things:

- Your build order is arse about. I wouldn't rebuild/upgrade brakes, suspension and drive train only to strip it all again for body work. By all means to some test fitting of new major components but doing upgrades first is only going to double the labour component. What fanaudical said is on the money – the only change I’d make is to reverse points 2 and 3 and asses what needs replacing before stripping, then source new components and test fit. I’m sure as you are stripping there will be more components that you discover are past their used by date. After all that at the reassembly stage there will be things that you may have overlooked or decide don’t look or work as well as you would like and will be replaced.

- Sorry but the $10k budget is hilarious, especially if by “a heap of a car” you mean it needs a lot of work. Hell, you could spend $10k just on brakes and suspension or a top end. Panels and bodywork to backdate don’t come cheaply. If it was me, I’d do a 74 3.0 RS rather than 73 as there is less panel work but even then a full rebuild could easily run to 10 times your budget.

I’m not taking the mickey but I’d like to see your build sheet and pricing to see how you arrived at $10k. There may be a whole heap of little things (that add up!) that you haven’t considered. Things like door and window rubbers, head lights and tail lights (it would be a shame to put the old ones back on a freshly painted car), innumerable hoses, seals, gaskets, bushings and bolts, clutch and flywheel, headers and muffler, engine and trans mounts, RS door trims, seats, carpet, headlining, sun visors, switchgear, seat belts etc etc. I’ll happily send you mine if you would like to have a look.

Last edited by JV911SYDNEY; 01-06-2015 at 06:33 PM..
Old 01-05-2015, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)