View Single Post
Air Cooled

Garage
An SC is a great car, but he's got an '88 Carrera (link to article). He had come to the conclusion that only three years, the G50 Carreras '87 - '89, are "the best" for backdating.

I don't know that I agree, and would even submit that a proper RS clone should be running a 915 transmission, and SC's would have been less expensive to start with.

"The second 911 in Florida was much more abused with a cracked period body kit and an utterly destroyed interior. It was also far cheaper at $22.5K advertised. After talking to both sellers, my wallet won out and I opted for the ugly tree Florida car. A bit of haggling and negotiations later, we agreed on $21k.."

I'm shocked that he spent $21k on a basket case with a ruined interior that, once received, didn't even run well.

Here's a beautiful low mileage '82 SC for sale on Pelican Classifieds for $27k: HERE

Or a beautiful Euro spec SC for $23k running well with a nice interior (both cars interiors could have been sold for cash going forward): HERE

It seems to me, that a basket case Carrera could have been had for much less money, which leads me to believe this wasn't very well spec'd/researched from the very beginning.

The article itself is targeting non-Porsche people, but here on Pelican, it's one of the deepest pools of Porsche expertise on this planet and one would expect a deeper understanding of this project before promoting it.

As I said earlier, I hope that I'm missing something here, and that there is a much deeper understanding of the project, or this is more likely similar to an article I read in one of my European Porsche 911 magazines where they highlighted two "RS clones" that were done on the very cheap, with body kits that didn't require proper fenders, front end grafts, and were meant to be light hearted mods that "mimicked" RS's more than tried to be proper clones.
'88 Honda Hawk GT, '77 Honda CB750K Cafe
'69 Honda CL350
Old 01-06-2015, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)