View Single Post

930 clone restore - if you had it to do all over?

as I get close to finishing my 951, starting to think more serious about this project.

so .... been reading a lot of threads here, probably too many, and seen a lot of incredible builds.

IF YOU HAD IT TO DO ALL OVER, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

hoping for posts or links to other threads with ideas. I keep seeing post of what people would do different if they had the chance. hope to get ideas from those who have gone before me.

just a short intro for now, and more pics to follow soon.

I stumbled on a 78 930 clone, built on a 78 SC in the 1989 - 1990 time frame. got it almost a year ago, just could not pass it up. took some crap from my wife about it, as it made the 5th P car I had at the time. just finishing the resurrection of an 87 944S for my bro-in-law, and had not even started work on the 951 DE/street build.

pic of PO.

I got the car not running. the muffler case split and the hot exhaust burned some wiring and stuff causing it to quit. guy I got it from said it was running great, just scary has hell to give it much gas.

guy who had it built had a 78 3.3 rebuilt from the crank up, modified, head work, twin plug, etc. have a lot of pics and records. not totally sure what all was done, need to sift through the records more closely. he also had the 915 tranny rebuilt, including a taller 5th gear. again, need to dig into the records to see what was done. saw the record of the clutch, dont recall what was installed but it is really heavy pedal feel. was told it dyno'ed over 400hp.

had the SC body stripped down, sand blasted, steel rear flares and the slope nose fenders added, then full paint. hard to guess what the guy spent building. I suspect for equal or less $$ could have bought a factory 930 at the time. but also guess not what he wanted.

unfortunately, has some significant paint cracking around the rear flares where welded and in a few other spots. so will probably repaint, but not sure I like the current color. may change color, and if I do want to research the factory colors for 78 before I dedide.

another question in my mind is trying to have someone rebuild repair the damage to the extened whale tale. cut out the damage and replace with a screen, or get another tail. (I have the rubber edge, in good shape)

the guy left it on stock SC suspension and brakes. already decided I want to go full 930 brakes. don't think I want to go floating hubs / rotors, but may as that was factory for 78-79. just starting to consider what to do upgrading the suspension.

when I got it, partially dropped the engine, cleaned up and repainted the engine tins, misc stuff, and fixing the wiring. then stopped and decided it was going to get a 'full monty'. always lusted for a 930, I have a pic of one on my office wall to my left. as the values of 930s are going way out of my budget, never thought I'd ever have one. so want to do a total and thorough job of it.

so returned to finish the 951 project first.

until the next installment, start giving me ideas to pursue.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)