View Single Post
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reclino View Post
The license plate frame says Beck-Hendrick. I am new to the 930 but not new to cars and things mechanical. I appreciate and welcome all the advice. I will be dropping the engine out next to get a good look at it. I assume that I will at least pull the heads and do an inspection of everything. I am very concerned with the condition of the head studs, if the Dilvar has not yet died from stress corrosion cracking I fear it soon will. Sitting in the humid air of Eastern North Carolina for 9 years will do some nasty things to unprotected metal. Can anyone determine if the head studs are original from the picture of topside of engine? I thought the Dilvar studs were bigger around than the steel ones, and to my eye the head studs all look intact and not corroded.
Those studs look OK to me. Seriously think about pulling off the heads - this is not a simple afternoon job on these engines - if you do go down this path, get Wayne Dempsey's book on rebuilding these engines.

You can retorque the head studs with the valve covers off. Honestly, I don't know if those head studs would be worse off if they were heat cycled regularly over the past 9 years as opposed to sitting for 9 years.

I am not questioning your mechanical aptitude or experience - I thought I knew all this stuff too until I rebuilt my first 911 engine... the dilivar head studs look like the lower ones on my engine.

Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 01-27-2015, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)