View Single Post

well.... took a step backward this past weekend.

when I started to put on the bell housing, it just would not seat fully to the block. after rechecking everything, found the ground wire hanging down enough to obstruct it at the top.

so went about putting in the bell housing bolts below, then went up top to put in the top one.

first, when taking off the bell housing I had to pull the HCV hose off the block to get to the top bell housing bolt and the ground. could not figure out how to remove them without pulling out of the way. the Clarke's garage did not mention this during the tear down, but at the end of the installation procedure it does say you have to do this.

thought I had drained the coolant out enough during the tear down.

when I went to put in the top bolt I had to move the HCV around. a fair amount of coolant poured right down the TDC inspection hole.

pulled the clutch back out and sure enough, almost half the clutch disc was contaminated. it is at SPEC being resurfaced.

so heed the warnings. COVER THAT DAMN HOLE WHEN WORKING UP THERE. actually I had stuffed a piece of paper towel in to prevent bolts or other bits from falling in, but did not think about coolant and it went right through the paper.

so when I start reassembling again, thinking about putting some aluminum duct tape over that hole. should be able to take the heat, and only reason to remove would be to do timing belt or something affecting cam timing. engine has a new TB, balance belt, rollers, etc. so that will be a few years away. anyone have a better idea for covering that hole?

changing topics. when I pulled the crank and speed sensor, the speed sensor had some very slight scratches. very superficial. but wondered why as I had installed new ones and used the '0.8mm washer' technique to reset the clearances.

my guess is the teeth on the starter ring gear was able to sit into the gap in the center of the washer, so the clearance was actually too close. see pic below of the one I used to originally set the clearance. so it appears to be sure, you need to use a solid 0.8mm thick piece so the clearance with the teeth is correct.

so reset clearance using a proper feeler gauge from below with the bell housing off, then adjusted the pin on the flywheel to match.

so while waiting for the clutch disc to return, started installing the M030 sway bars.

86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)