View Single Post

Garage
I am well aware of coolant in different engine locations, thank you for noting. I have been keeping up my 928 cars since 1990 so I have some kind of experience of this car.

My prior idea for the intercooler for this car was water (or other liquid) to air arrangement with liquid coolers in rear for intercooler system), turbo located in rear corners of the engine bay and way more conservative solution. Only the problem with any liquid to air system is with keeping temperatures down during long time hard driving - rather like multiple hours under anger than single drag strip or hot lap time attack use - the experience even by professional racing teams has had very problematic to maintain reasonable temperatures. And actually because of this rear cooler idea for liquid to air intercooler I got to the idea to move the part of the primary cooling system to rear which brought me the option to use front location to proper and sure air to air ic and also consider the relocation of becoming two turbos.

For racing turbo arrangement the most important thing for intercooler is helping the engine remain in reasonable temperatures as if it is also important for adding sheer power. This was clearly seen already in group 5 in seventies. I havent seen too many 928 turbo setups, which can be driven hours in anger. My dream is to make one.
I have plenty of turbo experience with my 930 Ruf BTR technology based K- jet system and my Ur-Quattro B group rally car with fairly old fashioned turbo arrangements. So I have thought this experienced method would be less risky way to do a 928 biturbo for racing purposes from one of my 928s.

I agree with the unsuccessful history about the body mods done: I am doing my widening project not for looks but for track cornering performance. Therefore I try to keep it as original looking as possible. I agree there was no reason to try to alter 928 to testarossa or other but what she is as herself. But everyone who has need to fit really wide tyres under any 928 knows it is not an easy task without wheel arch alteration, because of the very special ET especially in front.

I can' t say if mine is going to be any better looking, but I want to race with wide slicks and believe me I would have bought a complete set of ready wide body parts if I would have found great one. And believe me I have been looking these options for more than 10 years. Strosek is the best I found but quite not good enough in 928 wide body sets even if he succeeded way better with 911 in various versions. Sacrifying of one of my 928 cars is not the end of the world as I also have one very original early S with other more modified ones... to say this thread wasn' t for restauration of classic anyway but for widening 928.

Last edited by petri; 01-31-2015 at 11:12 PM..
Old 01-31-2015, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)