View Single Post
Journalist

Garage

ALRIGHT, all the suspension and brake upgrades are done.

As always, some background and the full story of the build can be found on my website here:
Porsche Backdate Pt 3: The Emissions Battle - FactoryTwoFour

But the specifics of the build will live here on Pelican.

Here's what I did, and in what order. All parts are from Pelican if not otherwise specified. Make sure to work on ONE wheel at a time, so you have others for reference when you get lost or forget a step. This list is for the front axle, as the rears are much similar but follow generally the same order.
Before:

• Remove the front and rear wheels
  • Remove, clean, and paint the brake caliper
  • Remove and discard the rubber brake line. Retain the hard lines if possible
  • Remove and discard the brake disk
  • Remove, clean, and paint the brake disc shield
  • Remove the tie rod end
  • Remove and discard the suspension ball joint
  • Remove the shock absorber
  • Remove, clean, and paint the front sway bar

You should wind up with a nice, open area to work in that looks like this:

Next I took a wire brush to the control arm and anything else that was crusty. After spot priming and painting any trouble areas, everything should now be ready for reassembly.
  • Install bump steer kit
  • Install a new suspension ball joint
  • Install braided steel brake line
  • Install Turbo tie rod kit
  • Install new bilstein shocks (HD up front, Sport out back)
  • Install the new tie rod end from the turbo kit into the arm off the shock housing
  • Install the brake disc shield
  • Install a new brake disk
  • Rebuild brake calipers, touch up the paint, and install
  • Install the sway bar
  • Install the front and rear wheels

After all that work, you get to bask in new pretty parts:

On the rear, I also replaced both my axles. The boots were either torn, or held on by zip ties thanks to some *******:

So the process there is disassemble the wheel area, then replace the rear axles, and then back on with all the new goodies.

Lastly, while it was off the road anyway, I installed a JWest G50 kit which includes a short shift kit and a new coupler. I also installed the rubber o-ring suggested in this Porsche tech bulletin for possible shift rod rattling. I don't notice much rattle, but it was a couple bucks and I'm in there anyway, so why not?

And that's the majority of my underbody work for this backdate. My engine is solid so that will receive a nice clean and refresh, but nothing major beyond some gaskets and hoses. The only other thing I've tackled is ripping out the AC system because some backyard mechanic (probably the same human who zip-tied my axle boot on) covered my condenser piping with some kind of industrial Play Doe to stop some leak.

It was horrific. So it's gone now and I'm not going to worry about it. Next up, body work!

Last edited by AdamKaz; 02-09-2015 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Pictures WAAAAAY too big. Will resize and include later
Old 02-07-2015, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)