View Single Post

Parting 944 Racecar

I am helping a friend part out de/mod a former high level SCCA 944 race car, as he makes it 944 Spec legal. The car is an 8V, high compression, cost-is-no-object SCCA race car from the 1990's. The owner died suddenly, and the car sat in the family's machine shop indoors for at least a decade, before the current owner picked it up. The car had such exotic (if dated) parts such as a full data acquisition system (with a floppy disk drive!), multi-channel A/F ratio, and EGT monitoring.

Vintage, floppy drive data acquisition system (for laughs):

I drove the car complete, and the motor is like no other 8V motor I've ever driven - big torque, revs like a motorcycle, and very short, very close ratio gearing (At 3,000 RPM, I recorded 32,41, & 51 MPH in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears, respectively, and about 103 at 6,000 in 5th with 225/45/15 tires). Motor requires race gas - very high compression. Dyno'd at 186 at the rear wheels last year per the owner (I will get a copy of the dyno sheet when I can). Amazing for an 8V motor. It ran 3 events without issue last year. The details of the motor build are long lost, however.

The car is coming apart now, and I am still gathering some information. I will post parts, and update what available as the conversion continues. I have already called dibs on the JRZ suspension, but am putting my Koni doubles up for sale.

First up for sale:

Koni double adjustable shocks, camber plates, and bolts. The fronts appear to be converted M030 units, and the rears are 3011 double adjustable. I have the bushings to match up to 944's metric upper shock mount bolts, and the Ground Control's custom lower shock mount bolts. One of the front Koni's has a stuck lower adjuster, and needs to be rebuilt. The rears have been rebuilt by TrueChoice (timing unclear).

Front Koni double adjustables & spring hat (needs rebuild): $350
Rear Koni 3011 coil over race shock: $650 with bushings, and Ground Control lower shock mount bolts (these are $150 alone)

Weltmeister camber plates - great shape: $350

600lb, 8" 2.5" diameter springs (as new) $70
400lb 8" 2.25 diameter springs (as new) $70

All prices are OBO, but + shipping.
2015 NASA Eastern Champs 2nd place in ST2 "Franken44"
Old 02-13-2015, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)