View Single Post

well ..... did not realize I had not updated for a bit. felt compelled to update my warning post with retraction.

as I was installing the NEW clutch disc, decided to check out my speed senor clearance theory.

FAIL

here is a pic I took of the sensor with washer against the starter ring. the ring gear is wide enough that the teeth cannot fit into the washer gap.

so I must have set the clearance wrong. when setting with a feeler gauge with the bell housing off, had to try a couple times to keep the clearance were I wanted as I tightened the bracket bolts. hard to tell using the washer method if you put downward pressure on the bracket which may reduce the clearance from what you intended.

now for that damn hole ..... the hole I covered on the left is for that obsolete diagnostic sensor I removed.

not sure I want to post about yet another mistake I made and just discovered about setting clearance on these sensors in time to fix before I button up the bell housing.

I really appreciate all the post folks have made of their fubars. I only hope my posts of my mistakes will help someone else avoid the time and expense mine cost me.

so installing the NEW clutch disc and alum flywheel.

first adjusted the bracket to set the clearance on the speed sensor to the starter ring.

then adjust the pin on the new flywheel to the correct clearance on the crank sensor.

well....

as I was trying to put on the bell housing for what would have been the final fitting, it would not go. finally figured out the flywheel pin was set way too long and it would not clear the bell housing.

when putting in the sensors to set the clearance, I got them mixed. so without the washer on the speed sensor I actually set the bracket ~2mm to high.

what I suspected as the delta appeared to be exactly twice the thickness of that washer. but just finished looking at PET and the WSM ... AGAIN ... to confirm my bone head move. Ironically, I had actually looked it up in the WSM at the time, but still went and put them in reversed.

initially I had been able to put on the bell housing, as the pin was still up around the sensors. glad it ended up turned DOWN due to installing the new disc and PP.

so heed the warning to have the FLYWHEEL PIN FACING STRAIGHT DOWN when you put on the bell housing. when I saw that note in the procedure, I thought 'why'. now I know. that way you will know if it is too long. the lower area of the bell house has the least clearance to the flywheel.

I just cringe at the thought of having buttoned it all up with that pin too long. hit the starter and no telling what noise and damage the impact of the pin on the bell housing would have caused.

so having to replace that contaminated clutch disc sure was a blessing in disguise. sure the damage that extended pins would have caused would cost much more to fix and a lot more work.

once again, hope to save someone else from making the same mistakes I have.

today hope to finish buttoning up the bell housing and move forward on the rest.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)