View Single Post

Garage
Porsche Crest Need Advice on Engine Upgrades for a 930 Turbo

This is likely one of those questions destined to start a huge "food fight", but here we go.

I have a 1982 Porsche 930 Turbo. Checked the VIN and it is a genuine 930, Euro Model. I unfortunately took it to a local show for a “tune up” and when they told me there was low compression in 2 cylinders and that they needed to take the engine out to check it, I stupidly agreed (I’m a service disabled 31 year army infantry veteran… no mechanic )

After over a year of “we’re looking for parts” I got frustrated and retrieved the car (after the guy gouged me several grand for “work” and “storage” because he was no longer going to work on the car.

It is now safe with a real engine rebuild guy. So here is my basic question……

Since it is already torn apart, what would be the best engine upgrades to do (internal and external)?

Someone recommended a SS timing chain, and when I checked with some of the on-line parts places a place called “FABSPEED” recommended upgrading the turbo (K27), intercooler, intake and exhaust system.

Porsche 911 Turbo 930 Sport Performance Package - Fabspeed Motorsport

Porsche 911 Turbo 930 K27 Turbocharger Upgrade - Fabspeed Motorsport

Porsche 911 Turbo 930 Long-Neck Intercooler - Fabspeed Motorsport

I’m also interested in advice on where to get the seals, rings, and other stuff the guy may need to rebuild it.

The car itself is a little “different”. It has the air intakes on the rear fenders and the running boards that were all on the 930s, but instead of a “slant nose” that I am told was normal with the 930, it has the regular front. I am checking with Porsche now to see if it was special ordered that way, as it looks to the body guys like it was made that way sine it is a genuine 930 by VIN.

Thanks for your patience with this “newbie”…. I’m told the car would probably have some value when fixed up, but just trying to figure out what the best investment for my disability checks are before I put the wife into sticker shock.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)