View Single Post

Garage
Thanks for the help. I may ask Steve at Renn if I can buy the parts and send them to him if he does the rebuild to save some $$. May be that he (like others) desire to use their own parts.

I've got no problem shipping them anywhere (even NJ if it stays in the union)...

Based on the input so far, I think I'm going to take a "chill pill" and do the following.

1. Have the guy who has the engine send out all the parts that need to be cleaned to be cleaned and degreased so they are easier to handle and I can get a better look at them.

2. Once I have that, take a 1/2 day or so and go out there to lay all the parts out on the floor in an orderly fashion rather than in the "jumbled box of rocks" mode they are in now then take good pictures of everything so I can post them and see where we are.

The mechanic is also open to me "helping" in that I can save some money by taking part stuff that needs to be done myself and not pay him. Nothing complex because as an infantry guy if it didn't work or frustrated us we just blew it up.... not a good approach here.... but, for example, there is no sense paying him to unbolt the turbo from the exhaust (it needs to be rebuilt or replaced) when I could just do that :-)

Great idea on buying used parts form forum folks (CONSIDER THIS MY FIRST OFFICIAL SNIVEL).... I already know I need a dash board cover blank I can get recovered and someone already contacted me about a reconditioned stock turbo.

It'll be an interesting saga.. every time I look at the pile of parts and the car condition I keep remembering what a very wise friend of mine once said... "it would be funny... if it wasn't true"...
Old 03-28-2015, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)