View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Peddle Cluster Rebuild

Latest "bug" is a catch in the clutch showed up last weekend.
When I pushed in the clutch it would catch or snag at about 2/3 down. If I went really slow it would bind completely, really fast it would push through. Got the car on the lift and had the little woman press the clutch while I watched the activity under the car. Nothing unusual. Clutch cable was smooth and free. Went up top and removed the wooden floorboard to inspect the peddle assembly and noted some things were pretty wobbly. Time for a peddle assembly rebuild. Ugh. It's been about 15 years sense I rebuilt a peddle assembly, and that was when the Red Rocket was down to the tub for a repaint and full restoration.

I purchased a brass bushing kit from our host along with new rubber parts and anything else while-you-are-in-there. This morning I got up early and met Wayne at Matin's place where we do all my work, bag of peddle goodies in hand.

I quickly was reminded how much this job su-hu-hucks with the seats and steering wheel in place. The instruction sheet that came with the bushing kit is an outline at best, there is a LOT more to this job than half a dozen lines and an exploded diagram.

Here is a picture of the prize:

Dissasembly complete. Big props to Wayne far having a spring tool to remove and reinstall that clutch spring! The throttle bushing had completly disentigrated to dust. Other bushings were intact but worn. Not enough to cause the problem I was seeing though ....

All back together. You really can't see the bushings in pictures as they are mostly inside the tubes.

As it turned out the catch problem was not in the peddle assembly but rather the omega spring hitting the tranny housing. Apparently the brace that the spring presses against had bent. How I do not know but we bent it back and I will keep an eye on it. Not all was for nothing however as the trip home was extremely nice. The car shifted better than ever. All peddle action smooth as butter.

Next is the Evil Engine build. Gray Ghost was eyeng his stablemate today, tellin' that Italian trash he's being put on notice.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #589 (permalink)