View Single Post
Super Moderator

Garage
rental security deposit charges questions

I know we have some landlords (and tenants) here. We recently moved out and just got the itemized list (no receipts, just pictures and dollar amounts) from the landlord (by email, 11th hour of the 21st day). We were in the property for almost 4 years, and had a $5K security deposit. He's trying to charge for:

- repainting a bedroom due to "stains" on the wall (just wear from a bed rubbing)

- repainting a walk-in closet due to walls and ceiling being marked up

- a rusting bathroom sink drain

- shower door that doesn't stay closed - the magnet assembly rusted and fell apart in year 3.

- fixing a running toilet

He's holding back $1K with $325 of that "pending" since he doesn't have costs for the toilet running or the shower door.

Seems to me that repainting the interior is expected after a 3+ year residency, and we should not be charged for that. The rusted drain and shower door are due to normal use and would fall under maintenance not damage (same with the toilet).

Am I out of line or is the landlord just trying to fund his deferred maintenance on our back? He fixed *nothing* during the time we were renting.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)