View Single Post
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
What does your lease say?

rusting sink drain, shower door and running toilet I'd think for sure should be landlord's nickel. paint...not sure and there's where I'd look to the lease to see what it says about condition.

I am a landlord and if you were a good tenant, paid rent on time and caused me no trouble, I'd not try to take your deposit money for these kind of things. I'm not a poopyhead landlord though.
Ditto...

Technically speaking, ANY paint marks on the wall qualify as damages according to the courts. Rubbing, scratches, yada, yada. So, if he wants, he can charge for it.

Running toilet... not so much

Rust stains... possibly...

Shower door, depends. If the piece is missing, he may have a point.

Now, if this somehow ends up in court, the judge will usually make you pay for the paint job costs as long as its reasonable, and decline eveything else.

The cost to paint has to be based on receipts, as the landlords time is worth "zero." Unless, you have pre-agreed on prices that you signed of on during the check in...

What was your rent? $1000 loss on an apt that rents for $3000 a month I would write off. A $1000 loss on an apt that rents for $500 a month is a big deal...

Bo
Old 05-14-2015, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)