View Single Post
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Total ripoff unless it says you need to paint on move out. Some contracts are having this in there, i.e. move out after 1 year or less: all paint is on tenant. 2 years 50%, 3 years, all landlord. If this was my tenant, I'd happily give the whole deposit back.

But mistakes from your end. You should do the following to help protect your deposit:

1) Move in check list. Fill this in and have landlord initial. Pictures.

2) 2 weeks before move out, ask for a move-out pre-inspection. Have them fill in and initial a check list. This gives you the chance to fix anything before move out inspection.

3) Last day, go over the house with move out check list. Have landlord initial. Pictures.

This will reduce the chance of shenanigans, just because the LL knows you have documentation. Of course, slum lords will try to skim some money off the top, hoping you won't go to court, but if they know you have your ducks in a row, they may be careful.

Unless you have pictures and documentation, going to court may not be yielding your money. But I would still threaten with certified letter right away. Go for it if needed. There is nothing to lose for you but time ... I always fight stuff like this. If everyone would, people would not get taken advantage off as often.

Good Luck,

G
Old 05-14-2015, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)