View Single Post

Garage
I can't remember, but I think I was able to replace the window relay without pulling gauges, but I could be wrong about that. Relays often go intermittent before they fail completely, mine did. You might be able to pull off the cover and clean the internal contacts, I didn't bother, I just replaced.

If you need to remove them, the gauges are just pressure fit with a rubber gasket around the gauge behind the trim bezel. Just grab at the trim ring and pull toward you, you might have to wiggle it around a bit, they are a tight fit. Some are easier to get out than others, if you can get one out, you can reach through the hole and push the next one out from behind. If they are really tight, use a plastic trim tool to pry a bit to get it moving (being careful not to scratch the dash).

Sometimes a fuse looks and tests good, but is not making good contact in the fuse holder. A multimeter might show 12V at the fuse tip, but current is not getting through to the other side. Clean the fuse tips and the contact surfaces in the fuse holder, and put on some dielectric grease.

Several current threads in this forum about replacing the entire fuse panel with modern blade style fuses, this is definitely on my project list.
1989 BMW M3
2007 328iT
Old 07-23-2015, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)