View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeaux911 View Post
I have always wanted to use vacuum bags to help hold the material onto the surface while the adhesive dried. This way the atmosphere is pushing uniformly on the entire surface. I havent looked, but I think there are 'spacebags' large enough that this might be an option. Has anyone tried it?

I know this is how they make strong glue joints for wood. It provides much more pressure than a clamp, and more evenly.
Jim... bagging is an interesting idea that was tried. The problem is, a vacuum draws the vinyl TOO TIGHT to the dash's surface. This ultimately transmits any imperfections to the vinyl's surface. (If dash, application of adhesive, and vinyl are perfect... bagging has potential.)

The idea with gel is to "float" the vinyl by applying only very light pressure to the vinyl's surface once an area is glued. Technically the goal is for the woven backing to connect with the gel... not the vinyl. This "float" of the vinyl allows some tolerance for imperfections.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930. '79 Anthracite 930.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)