View Single Post

Garage
Waste Gate Question

Does anyone know anyone who rebuild's waste gates? I am trying to keep the car as stock (OEM) as possible, and I may have some wastegate issues.....

In looking through various areas of the forum I found some posts indicating that I could test the WG by putting some compressed air in at about 12 to 15 psi into the pressure side of it and listen for the gate to open. If it leaks a lot before it opens it may need to be replaced. It also said I will be able to hear the air escaping around the guide before the valve opens. A little leakage is normal but a lot is not.

Mine may also have a problem where the gate meets the pipe (see photos).

I have not found any place that sells used ones - or even where I can send mine to be tested.

Also, on my pipe there is a welded tube with what looks like a nut on it and it appears a tube was cut off from it. This does not show anywhere on the diagram I have of the exhaust system for my euro 930. Could this be something added for the emissions? Since I am not reconnecting the emissions tubes can I just have it welded closed? Need a new pipe? other?

Next question is on the wastegate the bottom part of mine with the fins looks corroded and is separating from the pipe. Is this something that should be replaced? If so, do I need to do the whole thing or just that part?

If I have to I guess I can buy one of the newer replacements, but wanted to stay as close to OEM on the rebuild as possible.

I have some photos but am not yet "a master of the BBS" so I have not yet figured how to pos them since it asks me for a URL

Last edited by agentx; 08-18-2015 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Updated information and adding photos
Old 08-18-2015, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)