View Single Post

Garage
Engine died after run.

yesterday I took my 1989 930 for a run, about 30km, prior to my yearly government road worthiness check (MOT in UK).
Stopped on my drive and the engine just died on me. Tried to restart but it was having none of it, turned over easily but it wouldn't fire. Normally after a run it will start immediately.
Thought it might be yellow relay which I had replaced almost exactly a year ago after similar non starting problem. No affect wiggling it so decided on the well documented jumping 87 & 87a, nothing, this made no difference to anything, I could not hear any difference to the very faint whirring sound I can hear behind the dash when I turn the key on whether the yellow relay is in place or not or whether it is shorted or not.
Checked pump relay fuse in front, cleaned contacts, no difference.
Reading this thread I thought maybe the over speed relay under drivers seat was responsible but I do not appear to have one under either seat. My car is a Euro left hand drive model 1989, is this relay located somewhere else on the later 930s?
Should I be able to hear the fuel pump/s clearly when I turn on the ignition? I am sure it is a fuel problem, the car was going fine during the run, I had stopped many times during my run at traffic lights etc maybe I was just lucky it conked out on my drive.
Can I short out the pump relay so that I can hear it run?
Any advice you could offer would have to be in simple terms as I am no mechanic.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)