View Single Post
3 restos WIP = psycho

The car lives! And although there are the expected teething problems, overall things are going much smoother in the tuning department than I'd expected. Given the car hasn’t been tuned beyond a “finger in the air” conservative ignition map, and using an AFR to dial in the Leask, I’m impressed.

The positives:
  • The car sounds AMAZING. The Zork and K27-7006 make for one wicked sounding combo - much more like a nasty, big cammed NA race car than a turbo. Literally the best sounding 911 I've ever heard.
  • The other question mark that has been resoundingly answered in the affirmative is the cam choice: 993SS cams are a winner! With twin plugs and 8.3:1 CR, power delivery off idle is way better than my SC and the power curve is sweet, with a nice rush on top.
  • The other question marks, the suspension and brakes, also passed with flying colors: the car handles and brakes great.

And now, the Negatives:
  • No blinkers...kind of not safe to test drive, as result.
  • No driver's side window controls...I can't even hand signal to turn!
  • The turbo still leaks oil . Not as much, but it leaks.
  • There's a MASSIVE boost leak. The car doesn't register boost unless you hammer it and won’t register boost at all on a slow roll or at constant RPM.
The biggest concern is of course that the turbo still leaks. We are going through some troubleshooting steps right now and hope to have it sorted shortly. The boost leak is no fun, so we are going to have to make sure that the BOV is operating as expected, as well as to confirm that the boost controller from the ECU is functioning properly. The blinker...probably a relay or fuse (hopefully).

So the jury is still out 48 hours before departure for Rennsport. If we can sort out the above issues, the 930 will go. If not, the ‘66 will get another return trip to Monterey instead. We'll keep banging trying to get the turbo road worthy. Stay tuned...

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 09-18-2015, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #224 (permalink)