View Single Post
Registered

Garage
1st Start

Quick update: 1st start-up happened today. I let it run at idle for a bit to check for oil leaks or anything else that might look or sound bad.

The only exciting thing that happened was smoke began pouring out from somewhere. At first I feared: Oh no, I just burned the turbo up due to oil starvation! Did I hook everything up right?? Shutdown engine...

After I shut the motor down and inspected, I could see smoke coming from the turbo exhaust. Could it be burning off new machining oil? (It's a new Garrett 30R). I fired it back up and within 30 seconds the smoke stopped and all seemed well. The turbine wheel still spun freely afterwards so it looks I didn't sieze anything!

I'll be back to rewind and post a better update with better pics plus video links.

The only thing left is all the boost/vacuum hose connections, purchase a zork tube and install O2 sensor and wait for the turbo mount and wastegate dump pipe to show up.

...And of course tuning the Megasquirt system for a boost set-up.

Last edited by flat6pilot; 09-27-2015 at 11:41 PM..
Old 09-27-2015, 11:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)