View Single Post
3 restos WIP = psycho

The car is out in the wild. Here it sits, after running under its own power for the first extended period in years:

Lots to do to get this thing fully dialed in, but before I go deep on that, a few impressions:
  • This car is truly daily drivable. Starts immediately and power is smooth everywhere.
  • AFRs are solid everywhere, although boost is currently spring limited to .4 - .5 BAR.
  • As a result, the car is REALLY FAST, almost scary fast for a guy used to 2L 911s. But there's A LOT left in there.
  • The Sachs BTR clutch is sublime.
  • Brakes = GREAT
  • The best handling 911 I own - I cannot believe how light the steering is.
  • Mid-year sport seats are the most comfortable seats Porsche ever made.

In terms of dialing things in:
  • Boost - either the car still has a boost leak, or there is something wrong with the stock gauge...or both. I wind it up to above 4 grand and boost tapers back to zero on the stock gauge. I'll have to data log with a passenger and laptop to confirm. Boost onset also seems really late (not seeing any boost until above 4K).
  • Speaking of boost and data logging, I will next bump peak boost via the ECU to .8 BAR. I have yet to confirm that the CPU controlled boost solenoid is operational.
  • Knock control - have yet to confirm if knock control is working. Again, a job for data logging.
  • Timing - I'm still running a very conservative timing curve. I'll start tweaking with this only after I have confirmation that knock control is working. I'm certain a little more timing will do wonders for enhancing boost onset.
That's the mechanical stuff, but there's a near endless list of body and interior details to attend to. All things in due time...for now, it is time to DRIVE IT.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 10-13-2015, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #245 (permalink)