View Single Post
Registered

I just installed this in my '78 SC today, all told it was probably two hours. Changing light bulbs is usually the extreme end of my electrical project envelope, so this made me a bit nervous and I took it slow. Watched the videos and then just started chipping away at transferring wires. I only had trouble with two lines where I had to remove the ferrules to get them to fit, but once removed I was able to fit all the wires (up to three) in the terminal. There were a couple that weren't long enough to transfer until I had removed the old fuse blocks, but once I had the new panel mounted in place reach wasn't a problem.

Beautiful product overall, seems very well made. My motivation to upgrade the panel was initially to simply add relays for the headlights, but then I decided that long term reliability would be improved with modern fuses and known clean terminals. The LEDs to identify blown fuses are pretty sweet too. A somewhat expensive solution for a pretty simple problem, but seeing the product and the easy installation I think it was worth it. Really cool to see new products with more functionality like this for our vehicles.

I checked and double checked to ensure I had all wires hooked up per their original placement. The moment of truth (or groundhog day - if you see your shadow you've got six more weeks of work) was uneventful - everything seemed to work as it had previously.

Couple of questions - I just looked at the amp rating for the terminal on the panel I pulled out as a road map for which fuses to place where, haven't attempted to read an electrical diagram to verify correct protection. Am I being too trusting?

Also, there's a terminal marked "H" just to the left of the headlight relays. I don't have a wire to run there - should I? Is that for later models?
Old 01-18-2016, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)