View Single Post

Garage
INPUT WANTED: SC vs Carrera / 3.0 vs 3.2 / 915 vs G50

I have been in the market for the right G50 Carrera coupe for a while. Most of my decision for this car is the reliability (although heavier) of the G50 over the 915 (I drive a 901, so I know the finickiness of the earlier transmissions) and the more power of the 3.2 over the 3.0 (although I've been told that the 3.0 is more torquy and fun to drive) and the head stud issue of them breaking.

I sold one of my 914s a couple years ago to buy one of these cars. I just (very reluctantly) sold my absolutely MINT Scirocco 16V for additional funds as prices have gone up (although now thankfully evened out). While my search continues, I would like to get some detailed input and education from you SC 3.0 915 and Carrera 3.2 915/G50 owners out there to help guide me into the right direction as to what to get.

Some things to note:
- Price has been a factor in why it's taken me so long to buy. I had to sell two cars for the money to buy one of these, and still will be a good chunk of what I have. I know the SCs cost less, but I may spend more in the way of mechanics and other things (especially a 915 rebuild) than a G50 Carrera, which would likely even the cost out.
- I am not much of a mechanic, so potential cost in repairs is a factor. I'd like to buy the best possible car I can afford. From what I understand, there is generally less involved in the later G model cars than the earlier one (mostly with going to the G50 tranny that rarely needs to be rebuilt and the elimination of the head studs breaking on the 3.0 with the 3.2, although there is the chain tensioner issue, which for the most part has been replaced if a top end rebuild has been done).
- I don't have access to drive either to compare.

Thanks for your help in guiding me into the right direction.

PS - Here's a few pics with my Limited Edition 1974 914 LE Can Am "Creamsicle" named "Valentine" (Born 14 February 1974)
Only 500 made, there's about 50 still on the road. Mine is believed to be the 11th LE Creamsicle made on the 1st day of production according to the Registry.

2018 Volkswagen MK7.5 Golf R Lapiz Blue Metallic / Black

Last edited by tumamilhem; 03-16-2016 at 06:48 AM..
Old 03-16-2016, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)