View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCadaddle View Post
No difference in the head studs on an original SC vs. Carrera. The only reason more of them are broken on the SC's than Carreras is due to the fact that the SC's are older cars. My friend the Porsche Guru has even seen broken head studs on 964's.

SC's have larger connecting rod bolts than the Carreras. Rod bolt failure has been demonstrated more often in an over-revved Carrera than the SC's.

Carrera hydraulic chain tensioners are prone to failure as well. The late SC's had better tensioners and wide idler arms that made them more reliable than earlier tensioners. And you can put a safety collar on them for peanuts.

The only reason I would prefer a 915 Carrera over an SC is for the Motronic fuel injection vs. the CIS of the SC. The CIS is not bad and generally works well, but the Motronic fuel injection is just a more modern system.

What is your budget?
Hi! Yes, I'm aware of the chain tensioner issue. Fortunately, most Carreras have had a top end rebuild already fixing that. At least, that's something that I look for in cars that I consider.

Also aware of the rod bolt failure. I will only leisurely enjoy my car, not track it. Also look to see if those have been retrofitted to a larger one.

What is your opinion in the performance comparison of the 3.0 vs 3.2? I have heard that the 3.0 has more torque and is more fun to drive even though the 3.2 is 37 more bhp.

If I go with a 915 (which I am trying to avoid due to the G50 being more reliable and not likely needing a rebuild, although the con is it's heavier thus evening out the increased bhp of the 3.2), would you prefer the 3.0/915 or 3.2/915?

Budget really depends on the car. I found pretty much my dream one this weekend - an 88 Commemorative Edition G50 coupe with only 53K miles on it, impeccable mechanically and cosmetically and went for $42 at auction. I missed it because my car broke down on the way. I would have bought that car had I been there. I was really pissed about missing it. It was absolutely perfect. And worth the extra coin for its mechanical and cosmetic condition. I was partial to it because of the color combo also. I absolutely love the Diamond Blue Metallic. The shiny marine blue metallic leather is gorgeous. Although you're pretty much screwed whenever it needs to be repaired because there's no matching material to reupholster with. I like the more unusual colors. Everything is black, white and guards red. I like something a bit different (see my Creamsicle), but it's not a deal breaker. I'm very partial to Minerva Blue also. Finding the best one I can afford is my goal. I am just torn as to what to shop for. Lately I've narrowed it down to the G50 cars for the better performance, reliability and believe it or not, AC (if retrofitted). Believe it or not, those slightly bigger and added vents make a huge difference in Florida. :/
2018 Volkswagen MK7.5 Golf R Lapiz Blue Metallic / Black

Last edited by tumamilhem; 03-16-2016 at 07:48 AM..
Old 03-16-2016, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)