View Single Post
heir 2 the original owner

Garage
FWIW: I inherited my dad's 89 911 a couple of years ago, and after getting a $2500 bill from a mechanic after a breakdown (to supposedly 'replace all sensors' even though my suspicion is and remains that a $30 DME relay was the only culprit), I decided to shut up the devil on my shoulder who kept whispering "but it's a Porsche...you can't possibly repair it...you'll ruin it...your name isn't Hans, you're not qualified to do this..." and see what I could do myself and save some money.

I have found this generation of 911 to be easier than I anticipated for many maintenance items. So far I have:
  • Replaced spark plugs
  • Replaced spark plug wires
  • Replaced distributor cap and rotor
  • Replaced fuel filter
  • Completed valve adjustment
  • Replaced valve cover gaskets
  • Oil and filter change (2x)
  • Replaced transmission oil
  • Replaced battery
  • Removed speedo for rebuild and reinstalled it successfully
  • Disassembled alternator/fan ass'y from engine for rebuild
  • Reinstalled alternator/fan ass'y to engine with weirdo shim things successfully, with good spin, 14.0v on alt, and no shredded belt
  • Replaced rear shocks

That's a lot for a noob like me. I think I would have more problems with a non-Motronic system. Reading Wayne's 101-Projects book on maintaining the non-Motronic system scared me: dwell, angle, timing, advance, exploding airbox, etc.???

So if you like/plan to be working on the car yourself, the later 87-89 3.2 with the G50 trans would be my vote.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)