Thread: Oil Pressure?
View Single Post

Garage
Sorry, but I have no idea what the psi ratings are on my 911SC oil gauge, but here's my understanding with the bar readings...

When cold, a 911 engine will probably give you anywhere b/w 3.5 and 5 bar on the oil pressure gauge. The pressure will fall as the engine heats up.

Once completely warm, you should get ~1 bar pressure for every 1,000 rpm's. In other words, at idle with a warm engine it is perfectly normal to have a pressure reading of ~1 bar (in fact, the 911SC owner's manual suggests that it may be normal for the oil pressure warning light to come on with a warm engine at idle!). At 3500-4000 rpm you should get 3.5 to 4 bar on your pressure gauge. My guess is that the readings you're getting are perfectly fine.

With 110 degree temps, I would use a 20W50 oil. A thicker oil will break down less in the heat and will help your oil pressure. I use Castrol GTX - I know some people swear by synthetics, but for the $ and my kind of driving I stick with the Castrol : )
Old 08-16-1998, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)