View Single Post
Andy Bullen

Garage
Send a message via AIM to andybullen Send a message via Skype™ to andybullen
I would not sway you either way from 915 to G50. Although there are some differences, these cars have been around long enough that the life the car has lived is a bigger determining factor as to what you're actually getting. I've also been in the VW game for almost 20 years, the best comparison I can make is 915 = 2Y, G50 = hydraulic VR tranny. The 915 is cable driven, so it is inherently heavier and more mechanical. It is certainly not unreliable, but like anything else, there are wear and tear parts that need to be refreshed. Once it's fitted with a new coupler, bushings, etc, it will shift like new. Add a Jwest Rennshifter or equivalent, and it will get even better. G50's are great out of the box, and have a lighter, more fluid pedal feel. When properly maintained, you really can't go wrong with either one.

Once you've established this, you open up a lot of options. I'm like you, I love the Ice Greens, Minervas, Cassis Reds, etc.... SC's & 915 Carreras had lots of these, not to mention as I'm sure you've noticed, G50 cars tend to sit around 5-10k higher in the current market. I love the large vents too, but they can always be added to an older car if desired.

What matters most is the way the car has been treated over the years. Pay attention to the way the owner talks about the car. and drive some if possible (That can be tough) but even if you can't just spend time around them as much as you can, it will help you get a better understanding of what to look for in a great example. Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)