View Single Post
umop apisdn

Hi Charles,

It all depends on what you want to achieve and how much time and effort you are willing to expend to get those results.

FrankenCIS was created with a single primary goal in mind, allow CIS to be tuned and adjusted to suit non stock engine configurations, without the messy and inconsistent results from the traditional trial and error process of having to disassemble components and hit them with hammer.

So my honest view is, the solution you choose needs to fit your specific needs.

If the engine is stock, a good condition, unmolested and properly set CIS system should happily provide the fuel your engine needs.

If there are aspects of the stock system that are not quite up to modern expectations such as driveability or fuel efficiency then the ability to tinker with the features FrankenCIS provides may be a worthwhile trade for your time and money.

If the engine is modified then FrankenCIS begins to show real value.

The water can be as shallow or deep as you wish it to be. Original CIS and FrankenCIS can both be simple set and forget solutions.

In addition to nice things like data logging and visual engine status, FrankenCIS allows an ongoing upgrade path from basic CIS through to CIS-E and ultimately EFI
The tuning software is MAC friendly EFI Analytics Software Downloads | tunerstudio.com

I personally love the bullet-proof analog complexity of CIS, and by design FrankenCIS doesn't really mess with that simple mechanical reliability. Once we completed the development process I set my 928 to a comfortable factory tune and left it alone. It starts and runs perfectly every time I've take the car out for a run in the last year, out of site and out of mind but ready and waiting should a change ever be needed.

Installing FrankenCIS is more work than something like the BL-WUR but much less than EFI and the bonus is the Bosch WUR can be swapped back in at any time to revert the system to stock.

Do you need it? probably not.
Is it a useful and reliable system? yes.

For a stock engine, it's really a coin toss (50/50) proposition, so I've probably not been much help regarding your proximity to the ledge

www.FrankenCIS.com
Old 04-01-2016, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #550 (permalink)