Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Gasoline direct injection

With all the high HP 930's out there has anyone looked into going with direct cylinder injection in the future?
Old 06-27-2018, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Yes, just light research. Itíd be cool to run 10:1 CR and 30 lbs of boost on 93 octane with lean AFRís.

Thereís aftermarket EFI systems out there that will control the injectors, but the cost of injectors and high pressure pump arenít economically possible AFAIK.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I wouldn't want to deal with cleaning intake valves personally, and the complexity of the system (as Tippy stated above) makes the proposition pretty expensive at the current state of the market. Perhaps in a few years the prices will come down with respect to the aftermarket. Tuning these systems is not for the novice either, as fuel is injected in multiple instances per cycle rather than a single pulse, to propagate the flame front. Injection timing and pump pressure becomes ultra critical and without some serious development tools (cylinder pressure sensors, etc...), creating a calibration from scratch for an engine that was not originally developed to operate as DI would be extremely difficult. Be prepared to spend A LOT of time and money.
1976 911S Signature Edition - 3.2SSt (JE 98mm 9.5:1 pistons, 964 Cams, ARP Rod Bolts, Big Port SC Heads, 3.2 Carrera Manifold, ID725's, B&B Headers, TS HyperGate45 Gen V, TS RacePort, BW S360, AEM Infinity 506, E85)
IG: Signature_911
Old 06-28-2018, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

So, Let's work to develop an intake injection system with high injection pressure and near superior atomization. Wait... The factory did that with MFI.

How about an electronic version of MFI? Nominal 220psi fuel rail. Just need high pressure valves and high voltage drivers to operate the injectors.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 07-02-2018, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

The one huge thing I really like about DI, is you don't worry about throttle transients as much as port injection, since every molecule of fuel is injected directly into the cylinder.

No wall wetting to deal with.

To me, tuning should be easier than port in this regard. I never could get the algorithm down to account for wall-wetting. Just use the crude AE in MegaSquirt for a 'good enough' approach. Not much better than a carb in that sense.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 07-02-2018, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
There is a solution and it was very popular in the early days of turbocharging, propane. High octane and no vaporization issues.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
Not sure how MS handles AE but most others have several tables and throttle response is better than Motronic system equipped cars if it is tuned properly.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: