Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Harbor Freight has rubber pads that fit their jack stands perfectly. Protects the undercoating well, and is literally made for the job. Fit my old jack stands okay, and were fairly cheap.

Glad to hear you were not crushed by your car.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I recommend sturdy light concrete blocks instead of jack stands.
- or alternatively large wood blocks

Played my own share with jack stands, but for 15 years have used big wood blocks and light concrete blocks.

It is okay to play, but not with lifting a car.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway-Star View Post

Played my own share with jack stands, but for 15 years have used big wood blocks and light concrete blocks.

Maybe you have special Finland concrete blocks, but our standard US fair concrete blocks should not be used to support a vehicle. They aren't built for that kind of load.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I have seen several crushed concrete blocks under vehicles. Definitely a No-No. They would be the last things I used. Even then, I wouldn't use them. I even had one fail under my boat trailer - weighs way less then my cars.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 07-06-2018, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Have used blocks similar to these:
https://www.talotuote.fi/HARKKO-RUH-290

4MPa, so it will take about 68 tons per block. Mind you, if you'd place a sharp object between the block and floor, the block may crack, though it will not disintegrate.

On a nice and tidy floor I'd prefer to use wooden blocks, as the light concrete blocks bring a bit of dust.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Only after the fall! No, I use a jack stand under each of the front control arms and one under each rear torque tube cover.

Now, as a safety precaution, a hoist and chain around the rear bumper mounts.
Chains on both rear mounts ?

Can the car still slip off the front jacks ?

Quote:
Yeah, definitely not concrete blocks as the others have said.

Wood is fine, that's what I use to support and brace the tires whenever the car is up.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:

About six years ago, I made a set of my own wood block supports out of 2"X12" boards that I screwed () together (sizes for chassis support points and also to go under the wheels when I want, for maximum height) - all are stackable and I even put sturdy handles on the sides of them so I can easily move them around (big and heavy, obviously) - I also put rubber matting on some of them. I got the idea when I saw old-school pics of race teams using wooden blocks for supports. I have never felt safer under a vehicle.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Large chunks of wood is always good. Mind you, as years have passed, I now need both hands to hold morning wood down.

Yes it is about being safe under car, also like to add something underneath in the middle, just as a precaution.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Since people like pics (not of Highway's two-handed morning wood, however!!!), here is what I was babbling about.

BTW, even though there is no problem with it, I would not work under the car when it is supported with the 2X4 section on the lift point - I always put supports under the wheels if I'm going to be under the car.

One pic shows the wheel support size under the rear control arm - works great there when max height isn't necessary.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
^^^ Rawknee posting pictures of his wood is definitely grounds for another time out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2018, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Check your "in box" () for the real wood, Deez!!!
Old 07-06-2018, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage

The knockers on the wood are a nice touch.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Ha ha - you said "knockers and wood" - nice!
Old 07-06-2018, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

I use ESCO jack stands.

73 TR6
Old 07-06-2018, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich76_911s View Post
Maybe you have special Finland concrete blocks, but our standard US fair concrete blocks should not be used to support a vehicle. They aren't built for that kind of load.
If you're thinking of the concrete masonry block aka breeze block they are a definite no!
Old 07-11-2018, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Chains on both rear mounts ?

Can the car still slip off the front jacks ?

Yeah, definitely not concrete blocks as the others have said.

Wood is fine, that's what I use to support and brace the tires whenever the car is up.
yes both, with tension taken up but not lifting off the jack stands. It would take a pretty good push to take it off the front stands, the only reason the front one moved was because it slipped off at the rear

I'm still feeling sick about the whole thing.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Rawknees, I must say, now that i've seen your wood, i'm quite impressed.

1975 Carrera / 965 tribute w/ 1989 3.3 turbo 8.5:1, custom Evergreen K27 7200, 964 cams, euro CIS, TEC1 dual plug, rarlyL8 headers & hooligan pipe. 915/68 trans, kevlar clutch and lightweight pressure plate.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

And that's just in its flaccid state - wait'll you see it really jacked up!!!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Scary stuff. I use one more jack stand than needed just to be safe. So 3 if I’m using 2 and 5 if I’m using 4.

For supporting large turbine parts we use oak timbers. We do not use pine since it’s more prone to split but the wooden blocks above look pretty seasoned.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1000RR View Post
I use ESCO jack stands.

Yeah, mines on them right now. The late USA cars have nice jack points for them to rest on.
1981 911SC Black metallic, no sunroof. Sold(damnit)2005 987Guards Red, Stuttgart build. Sold1978 911SC Bahama Blue, M491 look E class PCA race car.Sold with help from Pelican. Thanks! 2005 997 Black. Sold1988 930 Grand Prix White. Keeper. 2008 957 Basalt Black, Pneumatic suspension and PDCC.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: