Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Disaster!!! (Real one, not a torn label) Car fell off jack stands!

Disaster!

Car fell of jack stands as I was getting ready to pull the engine.

Luckily no one was injured. In fact, I wasn't even near the vehicle when it fell.

However, the rear of the car fell about 8" and landed on the brake disk. Front jackstand also moved and somehow ended up supporting the front of the vehicle on the gas tank, denting it. Again, lucky it wasn't holed as there's 10 gallons in the tank. However the rear jack stand punched a hole in the front of the rear wheel well straight up into the area by the rear seat, there's a hole straight through the metal.

I have Haggerty, so hopefully they will come through, but thought I ask here if there's anything I should have checked with the brake or wheel, axle, bearings etc. Disk looks ok other than some crushed concrete and slightly bent dust shield. I peeled the underseal off the tank, its dented right by the weld for the outlet.

Any advise?

Thanks

Old 07-04-2018, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Wow, sux!

If you want to be really thorough with the brake rotor, you could have it checked for cracking, runout and trueness/roundness. One of the A&Ps you're probably familiar with could do all those checks.

Worry over jackstand mishaps (different than jackoff mishaps ) is why I always support my vehicles (except for my box truck) on homemade, stackable wood blocks - now way, no how can the wood supports fall over or the car fall off of them.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I am replete with jacks, hoists, and everything but a proper lift or a gantry crane.

After this, I plan on using an engine hoist chained to the rear bumper "shocks" (whatever you call those things) just for support when I'm under the car (although I don't think I can do it when I actually roll the motor out.

I actually used this method to get the thing righted again this afternoon, although I don't believe its that great for the bumper mounts but they look pretty solid.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
non-whiner

This is why you often see people putting the wheels under the car.

Glad to hear you’re okay. Looks like the car is in pretty good shape. That hole can be welded up fairly easily.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Flight, do you know how the car was able to fall off the stands; was the rear up too high relative to the front (not like that! )?

If so (am thinking about you comment of preparing for an engine drop), if you are wanting to raise the rear really high, it is better to leave the front wheels on and in contact with the ground. And if you want to raise the front some, in order to better balance the car and have more ground clearance in front, you can set the front wheels down on stacked 2"X10-12" boards - way safer and more stable that way.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Flight, do you know how the car was able to fall off the stands; was the rear up too high relative to the front (not like that! )?

If so (am thinking about you comment of preparing for an engine drop), if you are wanting to raise the rear really high, it is better to leave the front wheels on and in contact with the ground. And if you want to raise the front some, in order to better balance the car and have more ground clearance in front, you can set the front wheels down on stacked 2"X10-12" boards - way safer and more stable that way.
I've been thinking about it. I *think* what might have happened is this:

I have some thin strips of pine that I put between the jackstands and the torque tube covers (or other jacking points) to protect any undercoating etc from damage. Over the years I've soaked these in oil to prevent splintering, they bend instead of cracking. I'm wondering if one was not positioned squarely on the top of the jack stand, or if the jack stand had gotten cocked over slightly leading to the oily piece of wood slowly being squeezed out between the top of the jack stand and the torque tube. Thinking back, I don't remember seeing the piece of wood, I bet it shot across the shop somewhere.

Its the only thing I can think of.

I have it all up off the floor because I'm going to do a bunch of other things too, like new fuel lines, new A/C components and lines, and possibly a front oil cooler and new dam.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Scary stuff! Glad you are OK!! It looks like you jacked up that rear end pretty high. I'll bet you pulled the car toward you with the jack when you put it that high and didn't notice the jackstand on the other side had shifted, then out came your piece of pine.

Don't be too hard on your self... these things happen to us all; I just don't admit them.

Rahl
Old 07-04-2018, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The rotors are pretty tough. I doubt any fatal injury. I would just fit a dial gauge and check for warp. You don't really need a dial gauge if you haven't got one. Any sharp fixed point set close (1-2mm) to the rotor will tell you what you need to know.
Sorry about mishap. But if we haven't had similar I am sure we have come close. Not hard to get a jack cocked over when doing extreme lifts.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 07-04-2018, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Wow that sucks and really glad you're OK! I always imagined something like that happening before I bought a scissor lift.

Since my car is so low, I used to have to raise the back a couple inches, then raise the front a little more, than go the the back to bring it up to working height, 12"+ off the floor roughly. I always put my jack stands under the front control arms. One time after raising the rear so that weight was transferring towards the front, I noticed the front stands were tipping forward, the rear legs were about 1" off the ground! Scared the hell out of me thinking what could have been damaged if I raised the rear of the car enough for those jack stands to tip over forward.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I think you faired OK considering the circumstances, the rotors are really tough as already stated and the gas tank dent depending on how severe it is could be something you live with and part of the history of the car where you tell the story "you wouldn't believe what happened to me..."..I don't see the puncture in the floor that you mentioned...just the damage to factory coating?

In all honesty I had something similar happen to me and like yourself don't know how the car fell off the stands. Jacking and supporting a car is truly a science. Be careful friends.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
One thing to keep in mind is that your garage floor may not be flat and have imperfections allowing the car to not sit flat & balanced on the jack stands.

When my car was on 4 jack stands, the front passenger side was always sitting above the stand by almost 1/8" to 1/4".
Old 07-05-2018, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
No Disaster would have been if you were under the car when it fell, that is just unfortunate. I'm glad you were not.
They used to slide boats and ships up greased (lard I think) wood to get them to land, probably way more slippery then you think.

I think if you remove your rotors hold on inside edge and give them a tap with a screwdriver handle you should hear a fairly clear ringing sound, sort of like a bell, compare the sound of the two rotors if it is cracked it should sound different.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

as long as you are careful when putting the car on your stands and you put them in proper place all should be good.

what I have had happen, again this past week, is after putting stands under one end and jacking up the other, the jack may not roll as you jack the other end. when this happens the end on stands will tilt the stands on edge. so check the wheels of your jack and make sure they are angled so they roll as you jack the car. this can really be bad if you jack it really hi like I do.

noticed the 2 stands under my truck were tilted about an inch off the ground.

when I pull the motor on the 930 I have the back very hi and even remove the front wheels and drop the front down as far as it will go...just to roll the engine out, then I raise it back close to level.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 07-05-2018, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Do I read this correctly that you have the car supported on 3 stands ?
Old 07-05-2018, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Disaster!!! (Real one, not a torn label) Car fell off jack stands!

That’s scary. The rear pads on my lift want to slip out of place if they are not in the correct spot. I saw it slipping while lifting and on the way back down it slipped out. Luckily it got caught on the torsion tube cover.
I shake the car now when it’s a couple inches off the ground the check everything.

I wouldn’t put wood between the stands and round torsion tube. Or was it on the pan below the tube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 1979-930; 07-05-2018 at 11:20 AM..
Old 07-05-2018, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Get rid of the wood and make some pads from some thick rubber. I made some out of an old truck mud flap, they are probably 1/4" thick. Get the rubber, not the ones made from plastic, too slippery. A disaster would have been if you were under it.. glad you're ok.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post

I wouldn’t put wood between the stands and round torsion tube. Or was it on the pan below the tube?

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
definately not!!!
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 07-06-2018, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Son of ahhhhhh....

Sorry to see that. I get nervous every time I lift the car onto jack stands.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Do I read this correctly that you have the car supported on 3 stands ?
Only after the fall! No, I use a jack stand under each of the front control arms and one under each rear torque tube cover.

Now, as a safety precaution, a hoist and chain around the rear bumper mounts.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
Get rid of the wood and make some pads from some thick rubber. I made some out of an old truck mud flap, they are probably 1/4" thick. Get the rubber, not the ones made from plastic, too slippery. A disaster would have been if you were under it.. glad you're ok.
Excellent idea, I will do that! I have some rubber matting that should work.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: