Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Upgrade to modern relays?

I have upgraded my fuse box to a modern blade style with classic retrofit.
Now I’m wondering can you upgrade the relays to modern ones so I don’t have to worry about Chinese knock off garbage
Old 08-16-2018, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I'm sure you can - my EFI is using newer style relays and mounts in the engine bay. You will need to rip and replace, or leave in place and add to all the existing mounts I suspect ... not sure if anyone offers a ready made solution. May want to contact TurboKraft and ask them - they seem to be on top of all trends related to more reliability and performance.

I think just upgrading the fuel pump circuits and the various overboost and ignition relays, etc. would be all you need to do, maybe.

You should just save up and swap it all for EFI

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 08-17-2018, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

hi

i also had many problems with the OEM relay and fuse. so i built a new style relay and fuses on the old bracket. it looks nice and the most important thing is that it works like a new car.
no more turning to fuse in the middle of the night on a dark road

Old 08-17-2018, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moty View Post
i also had many problems with the OEM relay and fuse. so i built a new style relay and fuses on the old bracket. it looks nice and the most important thing is that it works like a new car.
What fuse blocks are those?

I looked into similar ones but they weren't rated high enough for some of the bigger fuses.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Some information about those fuse blocks would be great. I upgraded to the classic retrofit ATO fuse panel and itís a night and day difference. I stopped getting tach bounce and the relay for the headlights made mine so much brighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2018, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My interpretation:

I used TE Connectivity VCF4-1002 sockets. They dovetail together to form the block. You have to buy the terminals separately.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-potter-brumfield-relays/VCF4-1002/PB714-ND/813781

The relays are Panasonic CB1a-R-12V sealed automotive 40 A with the resistor buffer. An excellent, high quality relay, probably better than any stocker, and the price is right in quantities of 10.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=CB1a-R-12V
Old 08-20-2018, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinRice View Post
The relays are Panasonic CB1a-R-12V sealed automotive 40 A with the resistor buffer. An excellent, high quality relay, probably better than any stocker, and the price is right in quantities of 10.
Good choice, we also use Panasonic.

We are looking at a plug and play relay solution for the original round relay sockets.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Good choice, we also use Panasonic.

We are looking at a plug and play relay solution for the original round relay sockets.
When? I love your stuff. Thanks for shipping out the alternator so quick. Itís installed but wonít be tested until Monday
Old 08-25-2018, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somoney311 View Post
Some information about those fuse blocks would be great. I upgraded to the classic retrofit ATO fuse panel and itís a night and day difference. I stopped getting tach bounce and the relay for the headlights made mine so much brighter.
+1

I never had tach bounce, but the headlights (Euro H4s, stock bulbs) were very noticeably both considerably brighter and cast a whiter light after the Classic Retrofit fuse panel fitted.

Came in very handy when caught in a snap arctic storm and had to drive through 60+ miles of black ice - you could actually see when road surface in the tire tracks changed from wet slush to "uh-oh, that's just shiny, not wet"...
Old 08-25-2018, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Take a look at this. Its draft right now, I am working on a design to print this in 2 materials with a ABS body and a TPU or some other flexible material surround.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/64kXy9EsMmX-porsche-911-relay-adapter/editv2
Old 08-27-2018, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Take a look at this. Its draft right now, I am working on a design to print this in 2 materials with a ABS body and a TPU or some other flexible material surround.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/64kXy9EsMmX-porsche-911-relay-adapter/editv2
Make it happen and you'll have a new income source on your hands.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I have the Classic Retrofit fuse blocks fitted. They are very nice. I still don't have many miles on the Turbo as I am away with work. Since I am stuck in Spain its not all bad!

More than the fuses I really hate the relays. For me the issue is that they are now all made in China and the quality is not as good the OEM ones. I carry spares everywhere!
Old 08-29-2018, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: