Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Crashed 959

Crashed 959 going to Mecum:

https://autoweek.com/article/classic-cars/what-would-you-bid-crash-damaged-otherwise-tragically-pristine-porsche-959

Such a rare car, hopefully it can be saved.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I just saw it sold for $467,500.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a22800074/this-porsche-959-was-wrecked-in-a-freak-trailer-accident/
Old 08-24-2018, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Someone likely bought it to take to Canepa to build into their outlaw/restomod 959SC.
'97 993 Turbo S - Ocean Blue Metallic
'13 981 Boxster (BGB 3.8L 991S conversion) - Racing Yellow
Old 08-25-2018, 02:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I don't think that damage is that bad. If it happened in a trailer then the actual structural damage is going to be confined to the front trunk compared to hitting something at speed where all the momentum of the drivetrain is going to want to stress/twist/bend the rest of the shell.
92 318i
etc, etc, etc
Old 08-25-2018, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Does not the Porsche factory offer rebuild service for certain models? That is where it should be sent to be fixed right. Doubt it will be that expensive. Seems like a good deal to me For the price paid.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Looking at the crash pictures....that was a very hard impact.

Front gone, passenger side front suspension badly tweaked, full passenger side rocker and fender and door damage, rear wheel damaged.

It does not look like the car broke free and rolled forward during the impact, it more looks like the car was pushed back and broke free FROM the impact! I wonder what all the tie down point look like now!

Hope they have deep pockets to fix this one...but no matter what 959's are still damn ugly...daoooo.

Mark
Old 08-27-2018, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
That engine sounds really bad in the attached video too.

https://youtu.be/khbDvucJFuY
Old 08-27-2018, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich76_911s View Post
That engine sounds really bad in the attached video too.

https://youtu.be/khbDvucJFuY
Needs a driving tune up. Probably started 100 times with a safe 2mph run. It needs to be WOT for awhile.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I find that trailer damage story highly suspect when looking at the car’s damage. If this was damaged in an enclosed trailer it would have damage ALL over the car from bouncing around in a very confined and enclosed space. And the front impacted damage point wouldn’t be nearly as pronounced either. The only way that happens is from one object moving at a high rate of speed and the other object being both stationery and fixed to the ground. Which are impossibilities to have all of those aspects with a car being transported in an enclosed trailer. They are either both stationery, as in parked (not moving), or they are both in motion at speed - as in the SAME speed.

There are many parts of this car totally untouched from any damage at all. IF...for a moment we say it did break free and roll and hit something in the trailer that left that kind of damage on the front of it, then why isn’t there any damage on the driver’s side of the car? How did the passenger’s side get so beat up, yet the mirror which sticks out the furthest remain untouched? If we are to believe that story, then both sides get totally beat up from the walls of the trailer, and most likely even the rear of the car as well, as it would’ve bounced off the object it hit and been forced backwards, not stopping until it hit something else. Remember, it’s in a enclosed trailer. The mirrors should be dangling off of the car on both sides. These are clean, not a scratch on them. I’ve seen worse driver’s side damage from doors dinged when open and closed in the trailer, than what is on the driver’s side of this car. Yet we’re supposed to believe that this one broke free of its restraints and then gained enough speed inside the trailer in a very (very very) short distance and without the assistance of its own engine, and then slammed into something at the other end of the trailer to leave that kind of damage? All while the driver’s side (including mirror), rear of the car and passenger mirror remain totally clean because it never touched anything else or any other walls of the trailer?!? Either before or after its impact once it broke free?!? C’mon. Really? I’ve got a privately owned public bridge for sale if you believe that story, it offers a great revenue stream with its toll booth, pm me for details.

This looks like what would’ve happened if you drove it head first into a light pole, or a tree. Or some other fixed and stationery object. When you put the story together with the associated damage, it just doesn’t add up to me. Now combined that with it previously being on the market for sale and unable to sell it, and it starts to smell really (really) fishy to me.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automobiles-sale/403809-1987-porsche-959-komfort-car-number-41-283-produced.html

I’m not calling it insurance fraud, but there is quite a lot of smoke here, and if you take the blinders off you could probably see the fire. The only other logical explanation, is that the entire trailer story is wrong, either by mistake or for whatever reason on purpose. And if that’s the case, then maybe it was slammed into a light pole, or some other stationery object, and it was truly just an accident because the driver simply lost control. But with the current damage and its accompanying story, it makes no sense at all. And if that’s the story they went with to their insurance company, I wonder how successful they were at getting paid out on it. Cause I’m no insurance adjuster and this has red flags that anyone would question as far as I’m concerned. A well seasoned insurance adjuster would’ve flagged this as fraud at first glance, and probably also gotten a good laugh out of it at the feeble attempt.

I mean even this guy had a much better story than this, he just got caught because it was on video.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/12/18/man-who-drove-1m-bugatti-into-lake-goes-jail/77561978/
Old 09-02-2018, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I saw another thread, maybe even here on pelican, with pictures of the trailer. The trailer was on the side of a highway and had definitely detached and hit a tree. It was the front passenger side of the trailer, and aligned with the 959 damage. I'm no expert in kinetic energy, but my thought was that between the tie downs and the trailer taking the initial brunt of the impact, that maybe the car didn't bounce back much.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: