Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Work in Progress
 
Rich76_911s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ardmore, PA
Posts: 3,039
Garage
Electromotive XDI install questions

I picked up an XDI twin plug ignition setup for the 930 here on the classifieds, and I have two elementary questions on installing this.

1. How do people install the coil packs on the firewall? Is it as simple as drilling a hole, installing a rivnut, and bolting them onto the firewall? Or is there more to it than that? Seems like that is the only option unless I weld some brackets on there.

2. Where do you guys install the MAP sensor? Can I use one of the vacuum lines that currently run to the distributor?

Thanks in advance.

Rich
__________________
"The reason most people give up is because they look at how far they have to go, not how far they have come." -Bruce Anderson via FB
-Marine Blue '87 930
Old 09-03-2018, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 763
ugh I hate rivnuts!

50% of the time you end up with a spinner (and not in a good way).

How about a nutplate instead?
Old 09-03-2018, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Work in Progress
 
Rich76_911s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ardmore, PA
Posts: 3,039
Garage
Flight,

Thanks for the lead. I never heard of a nut plate before. Looks like a decent idea.

Something like this is what your suggesting, right?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=MS21047
__________________
"The reason most people give up is because they look at how far they have to go, not how far they have come." -Bruce Anderson via FB
-Marine Blue '87 930
Old 09-03-2018, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,803


I bent some aluminum plate and screwed it to the fire wall with self tapping sheet metal screws, then screwed the coil packs to them.... hard to see the off set in the aluminum because of the foam engine bay insulation. Map sensor you can also see to the left of the coils is connected to back of the throttle body... Philip
__________________
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LM-2/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin COP/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno

Last edited by philip j; 09-04-2018 at 07:00 AM..
Old 09-04-2018, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
16Volt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 980
I chose number 1 with rivnuts, no issues.

IMG_4672.jpg by Shannon, on Flickr
__________________
- 86 Porsche 930 - Mr.Hyde
- 86 BMW 635CSi - Dr.Jeykell
- 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 09-04-2018, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Work in Progress
 
Rich76_911s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ardmore, PA
Posts: 3,039
Garage
Thanks for the examples. I greatly appreciate the photos. Seems like there are a 100 ways to skin this cat.
__________________
"The reason most people give up is because they look at how far they have to go, not how far they have come." -Bruce Anderson via FB
-Marine Blue '87 930
Old 09-04-2018, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Uncertifiable!!!
 
Uwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,283
Garage
Rich,
No chance to put the coils on top of the 930 intake manifold? Would save you allot of grief when you have to drop the motor. Maybe some aluminum brackets up from the intake studs?
Johan
__________________
Living well is life's best revenge- George Herbert (1593-1633)
2006 C2S, A4 Quattro, the RST hot rod-http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/748639-evolution-carrera-rst.html
Old 09-05-2018, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tonawanda NY
Posts: 788
My hpx are on the back firewall, made a bracket for the map sensor and contact points just to make it easier to time. If i had to do again I'd be using a flat plate above the intake in the AC vicinity as Johan mentioned, changing the location is on my things to do list
__________________
82 930 Pearl White 3.3 964 cams, K27 HF, Kokeln, fuel enriched, IA fuel head mod, wur mod, crankfire, 2X plug, Aase worked heads. 1bar, GHL, zork, 23/33 bars, low, loud
Old 09-05-2018, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich76_911s View Post
Flight,

Thanks for the lead. I never heard of a nut plate before. Looks like a decent idea.

Something like this is what your suggesting, right?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=MS21047

Exactly. Either with pull rivets or driven rivets.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorthLA
Posts: 266
Electromotive manual reads:

MAP sensors simply plug into the intake manifold of the engine (after the throttle)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
I mounted my coil packs on the rear package tray and ran the wires through the firewall. I mounted the map sensor in the rear fuse panel.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Work in Progress
 
Rich76_911s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ardmore, PA
Posts: 3,039
Garage
I'll look into mounting near the AC compressor. I removed that 15lb lump anyway as it was not functioning at all when I bought the car. I'd like to say I'd fix the AC sometime soon, but there are about a dozen other things I want to get to first.

I'll post a photo or two of my MAP sensor vaccuum/pressure line when I get it done, just to check with everyone that I did it right. Don't want to mess that up.

Thanks again
Rich
__________________
"The reason most people give up is because they look at how far they have to go, not how far they have come." -Bruce Anderson via FB
-Marine Blue '87 930
Old 09-06-2018, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!
 
Uwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,283
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbraunsr View Post
Electromotive manual reads:

MAP sensors simply plug into the intake manifold of the engine (after the throttle)
Good point. Best place is to tap into the intake away from the throttle body and not near any one cylinder intake, say the middle of the right manifold on a 3.2. And use a short tube connection to the sensor.
A good plan is to separate the wires from the cpu to the sensors as much as possible to reduce possible cross interference all while staying at least 4 inches away from the ignition wires.
Johan
__________________
Living well is life's best revenge- George Herbert (1593-1633)
2006 C2S, A4 Quattro, the RST hot rod-http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/748639-evolution-carrera-rst.html
Old 09-08-2018, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
16Volt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 980
Why do you say 'away from the throttle body'? I have mine running from one of the throttle body ports.
__________________
- 86 Porsche 930 - Mr.Hyde
- 86 BMW 635CSi - Dr.Jeykell
- 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 09-08-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!
 
Uwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,283
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Volt View Post
Why do you say 'away from the throttle body'? I have mine running from one of the throttle body ports.
Basicaly advise from both Ben at Electromotive and Richard Clewett when I was searching for a solution to my weak idle. You get a better and steadier reading away from the air turbulence so close to the butterfly. I would also surmise that this is also a reason why the standard IAC pickup is also placed well below the throttle body on the 3.2 manifold at least. That is not to say that your setup wonít work-itís just that tuning a turbo with an Electromotive system can be challenging enough so itís wise to reduce at the outset the number of variables that may give you lousy tuning readings.
Johan
__________________
Living well is life's best revenge- George Herbert (1593-1633)
2006 C2S, A4 Quattro, the RST hot rod-http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/748639-evolution-carrera-rst.html
Old 09-08-2018, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
16Volt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
Basicaly advise from both Ben at Electromotive and Richard Clewett when I was searching for a solution to my weak idle. You get a better and steadier reading away from the air turbulence so close to the butterfly. I would also surmise that this is also a reason why the standard IAC pickup is also placed well below the throttle body on the 3.2 manifold at least. That is not to say that your setup wonít work-itís just that tuning a turbo with an Electromotive system can be challenging enough so itís wise to reduce at the outset the number of variables that may give you lousy tuning readings.
Johan
Great info, thank you.

I'm having trouble getting my vacuum routing sorted out so this helpful with my xdi-2.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
__________________
- 86 Porsche 930 - Mr.Hyde
- 86 BMW 635CSi - Dr.Jeykell
- 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 09-08-2018, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
Basicaly advise from both Ben at Electromotive and Richard Clewett when I was searching for a solution to my weak idle. You get a better and steadier reading away from the air turbulence so close to the butterfly. I would also surmise that this is also a reason why the standard IAC pickup is also placed well below the throttle body on the 3.2 manifold at least. That is not to say that your setup wonít work-itís just that tuning a turbo with an Electromotive system can be challenging enough so itís wise to reduce at the outset the number of variables that may give you lousy tuning readings.
Johan
What about T-ing off the brake booster port on the manifold?

short/long hose is not really an issue, pressure changes occur at the speed of sound
Old 09-09-2018, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!
 
Uwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,283
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
What about T-ing off the brake booster port on the manifold?
short/long hose is not really an issue, pressure changes occur at the speed of sound
Taping to the brake booster would be a bad, bad idea in my view. Just think, you brake hard, air pressure drops rapidly, rpm drops past idle, and engine may not recover fast to avoid stalling.

Canít comment on the speed of changes in air pressure but surely itís allot slower than electronic pulses. Otwithstanding, it does make sense to have shorter hoses wherever you can. It avoids unnecessary clutter and possible kinks. Itís so easy to make up a bracket to hold the MAP sensor close by.
M2Cís
Johan
__________________
Living well is life's best revenge- George Herbert (1593-1633)
2006 C2S, A4 Quattro, the RST hot rod-http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/748639-evolution-carrera-rst.html
Old 09-10-2018, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:27 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.