Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Work in Progress

Garage
Electromotive XDI install questions

I picked up an XDI twin plug ignition setup for the 930 here on the classifieds, and I have two elementary questions on installing this.

1. How do people install the coil packs on the firewall? Is it as simple as drilling a hole, installing a rivnut, and bolting them onto the firewall? Or is there more to it than that? Seems like that is the only option unless I weld some brackets on there.

2. Where do you guys install the MAP sensor? Can I use one of the vacuum lines that currently run to the distributor?

Thanks in advance.

Rich
Old 09-03-2018, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

ugh I hate rivnuts!

50% of the time you end up with a spinner (and not in a good way).

How about a nutplate instead?
Old 09-03-2018, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Flight,

Thanks for the lead. I never heard of a nut plate before. Looks like a decent idea.

Something like this is what your suggesting, right?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=MS21047
Old 09-03-2018, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I bent some aluminum plate and screwed it to the fire wall with self tapping sheet metal screws, then screwed the coil packs to them.... hard to see the off set in the aluminum because of the foam engine bay insulation. Map sensor you can also see to the left of the coils is connected to back of the throttle body... Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LM-2/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin COP/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno

Last edited by philip j; 09-04-2018 at 07:00 AM..
Old 09-04-2018, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I chose number 1 with rivnuts, no issues.

IMG_4672.jpg by Shannon, on Flickr
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 09-04-2018, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Thanks for the examples. I greatly appreciate the photos. Seems like there are a 100 ways to skin this cat.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Rich,
No chance to put the coils on top of the 930 intake manifold? Would save you allot of grief when you have to drop the motor. Maybe some aluminum brackets up from the intake studs?
Johan
Old 09-05-2018, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

My hpx are on the back firewall, made a bracket for the map sensor and contact points just to make it easier to time. If i had to do again I'd be using a flat plate above the intake in the AC vicinity as Johan mentioned, changing the location is on my things to do list
Old 09-05-2018, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich76_911s View Post
Flight,

Thanks for the lead. I never heard of a nut plate before. Looks like a decent idea.

Something like this is what your suggesting, right?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=MS21047

Exactly. Either with pull rivets or driven rivets.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Electromotive manual reads:

MAP sensors simply plug into the intake manifold of the engine (after the throttle)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I mounted my coil packs on the rear package tray and ran the wires through the firewall. I mounted the map sensor in the rear fuse panel.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
I'll look into mounting near the AC compressor. I removed that 15lb lump anyway as it was not functioning at all when I bought the car. I'd like to say I'd fix the AC sometime soon, but there are about a dozen other things I want to get to first.

I'll post a photo or two of my MAP sensor vaccuum/pressure line when I get it done, just to check with everyone that I did it right. Don't want to mess that up.

Thanks again
Rich
Old 09-06-2018, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbraunsr View Post
Electromotive manual reads:

MAP sensors simply plug into the intake manifold of the engine (after the throttle)
Good point. Best place is to tap into the intake away from the throttle body and not near any one cylinder intake, say the middle of the right manifold on a 3.2. And use a short tube connection to the sensor.
A good plan is to separate the wires from the cpu to the sensors as much as possible to reduce possible cross interference all while staying at least 4 inches away from the ignition wires.
Johan
Old 09-08-2018, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Why do you say 'away from the throttle body'? I have mine running from one of the throttle body ports.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Volt View Post
Why do you say 'away from the throttle body'? I have mine running from one of the throttle body ports.
Basicaly advise from both Ben at Electromotive and Richard Clewett when I was searching for a solution to my weak idle. You get a better and steadier reading away from the air turbulence so close to the butterfly. I would also surmise that this is also a reason why the standard IAC pickup is also placed well below the throttle body on the 3.2 manifold at least. That is not to say that your setup wonít work-itís just that tuning a turbo with an Electromotive system can be challenging enough so itís wise to reduce at the outset the number of variables that may give you lousy tuning readings.
Johan
Old 09-08-2018, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
Basicaly advise from both Ben at Electromotive and Richard Clewett when I was searching for a solution to my weak idle. You get a better and steadier reading away from the air turbulence so close to the butterfly. I would also surmise that this is also a reason why the standard IAC pickup is also placed well below the throttle body on the 3.2 manifold at least. That is not to say that your setup wonít work-itís just that tuning a turbo with an Electromotive system can be challenging enough so itís wise to reduce at the outset the number of variables that may give you lousy tuning readings.
Johan
Great info, thank you.

I'm having trouble getting my vacuum routing sorted out so this helpful with my xdi-2.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2018, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
Johan
What about T-ing off the brake booster port on the manifold?

short/long hose is not really an issue, pressure changes occur at the speed of sound
Old 09-09-2018, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
What about T-ing off the brake booster port on the manifold?
short/long hose is not really an issue, pressure changes occur at the speed of sound
Taping to the brake booster would be a bad, bad idea in my view. Just think, you brake hard, air pressure drops rapidly, rpm drops past idle, and engine may not recover fast to avoid stalling.

Canít comment on the speed of changes in air pressure but surely itís allot slower than electronic pulses. Otwithstanding, it does make sense to have shorter hoses wherever you can. It avoids unnecessary clutter and possible kinks. Itís so easy to make up a bracket to hold the MAP sensor close by.
M2Cís
Johan
Old 09-10-2018, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: