Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

slant nose real or not

Can anyone tell me if this is real slant nose WP0ZZZ93ZJS050352 is number at spear tire and at the pillar we have WP0JB0932JS050352
Looking to purchase if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-11-2018, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

it's a real turbo but you would have to share some pics to tell if it's a real slant
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 11-11-2018, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Do you have any pics of this 88 turbo coupe? Inside of front trunk, pop-up headlight mechanism? The options sticker on the underside of the front trunk?
Old 11-11-2018, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Is he looking for a 505 code?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2018, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
505 code didn't start until 1986. The definition of "real" is blurry before that time.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBO 88 View Post
Can anyone tell me if this is real slant nose WP0ZZZ93Z(JS05) 0352 is number at spear tire and at the pillar we have WP0JB0932(JS05) 0352
Looking to purchase if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated
So no it is not. In the VIN (JSO5) would not be a slant nose 1988 turbo but a NA non slant nose turbo coupe. A Slant nose coupe would be (JS00), A SN Targa, (JS01) and a SN Cab (JS02) in the VIN for 1988 SN turbos.

Last edited by voitureltd; 11-13-2018 at 09:50 AM..
Old 11-13-2018, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
While not foolproof, the slant nose option included the pop-up headlights (which are actuated by a single, centrally mounted motor in the frunk, which then actuates a transversely mounted rod, that actuates the pop-up mechanisms at each headlight). An aftermarket conversion could have done this, but if you don't have that (i.e. if you have a motor at each headlight bucket) then you know it's not factory.

Should be an aux oil cooler behind the right rear fender vent.

Slats in the rear fenders should be made out of wood, I've read.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

A few other items would be a porsche crest on the steering wheel horn pad, a thin supplement SN owners manual should be present. Jack on the passengers side instead of the lower center location. In the supplement owners manual it goes into detail of the other differences. The rear slats on the earlier ones may have been wood but on my 89 they appear to be a composite wood similar looking to Kevlar. The construction detail regarding the rear slats area would be difficult to duplicate.

Last edited by voitureltd; 11-14-2018 at 05:03 AM..
Old 11-13-2018, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
So no it is not. In the VIN (JSO5) would not be a slant nose 1988 turbo but a NA non slant nose turbo coupe. A Slant nose coupe would be (JS00), A SN Targa, (JS01) and a SN Cab (JS02) in the VIN for 1988 SN turbos.

Anthony,
I have a coupe 88 930 factory 505 slant and my vin does include (JS05). Not sure if I misread your statement above? I have a certification of authentication from Porsche which verifies that it's a factory slant and my mechanic also looked it up (I forget exactly where he checked it against) and verified it's a real 505.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The VIN info is from,

Original Porsche 911
The guide to all production models 1963-98
by Peter Morgan

Last edited by voitureltd; 11-15-2018 at 09:01 AM..
Old 11-14-2018, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I would think that any slant after 1986 would be easy to identify as factory built by the 505 option code on the plate in the trunk, no?
Old 11-14-2018, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

RarlyL8, That should do it.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp930 View Post

Anthony,
I have a coupe 88 930 factory 505 slant and my vin does include (JS05). Not sure if I misread your statement above? I have a certification of authentication from Porsche which verifies that it's a factory slant and my mechanic also looked it up (I forget exactly where he checked it against) and verified it's a real 505.
The JSO5 might be confusing to some to think that means it is a 505 but it is a standard NA turbo. Do you have the option info located on the underside of the front lid near the latch that Rarly8 refers to that identifies yours as having the 505 option? Peter Morgan has been an published authority for some time but some published data by some have been incorrect. Would be good to get any conflicting info. Does your 88 930 have the other distinguishing differences (930 vs 930SN) mentioned in the previous posts?

Last edited by voitureltd; 11-15-2018 at 09:09 AM..
Old 11-14-2018, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
When I was a Porsche tech., one customer ordered a wide body carrera with a slant nose option from the factory.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche 935 View Post
When I was a Porsche tech., one customer ordered a wide body carrera with a slant nose option from the factory.
I've also seen other Porsche other than 930 with SN. Without documentation, ie; window monroney, COA, matching option stickers, correct VIN etc or are missing some of the original stuff and parts should cause a buyer ( turbo 88 & skimp930) to be concerned. More than just a few are out there that never left the factory the way they have / or are now being represented as original. Many have been built using some and in some cases most of the things that came as a factory built special wishes Porsche. I also have some Slant nose turbos, not built by the special wishes. One was built by Alan Johnson racing with Porsche parts from Porsche motorsports in 1983 another by Porsche Kremer racing GMBH built in 1984. These do not try to be something they are not as should other 930s that after leaving the factory someone added some of the special wishes or fakey do parts and should be valued ( bought/sold ) accordingly. There are way more SN out there than were produced.

Last edited by voitureltd; 11-15-2018 at 09:12 AM..
Old 11-14-2018, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Boxed rockers with jack pad holes/tubes. That's another thing a factory slant should have. Conversions often cheaped out and put on boxed rockers, but not necessarily with weight bearing recepticles/extensions for the jack pads.

I have never had a slantnose, so don't take my word for gospel. I defer to anyone with real-world experience. But these are the things I've read during the 13 or so years I've had my 930.

OP should have enough info to go back and look at the car in question and have a fair idea or not if it's a factory slant.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input I will try to get some pics up this weekend
Old 11-15-2018, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
I've also seen other Porsche other than 930 with SN. Without documentation, ie; window monroney, COA, matching option stickers, correct VIN etc or are missing some of the original stuff and parts should cause a buyer ( turbo 88) to be concerned. More than just a few are out there that never left the factory the way they are now being represented as original. Many have been built using some and in some cases most of the things that came as a factory built special wishes Porsche. I also have some Slant nose turbos, not built by the special wishes. One was built by Alan Johnson racing with Porsche parts from Porsche motorsports in 1983 another by Porsche Kremer racing GMBH built in 1984. These do not try to be something they are not as should other 930s that after leaving the factory someone added some of the special wishes or fakey do parts and should be valued ( bought/sold ) accordingly. There are way more SN out there than were produced.
Definitely a lot more converted cars than factory slants, but what about the pre-1986 slants? Many of those "factory" conversions were outsourced to factory approved suppliers of special wishes such as Kremer, DP, and the dealer network. They should be deemed more authentic than a fiberglass conversion done by a local body shop after a front end collision.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Definitely a lot more converted cars than factory slants, but what about the pre-1986 slants? Many of those "factory" conversions were outsourced to factory approved suppliers of special wishes such as Kremer, DP, and the dealer network. They should be deemed more authentic than a fiberglass conversion done by a local body shop after a front end collision.
Agree. This Vintage built Alan Johnson SN, DE on Sunday drive to work on Monday, was done in 1983 with factory parts, even has the 934 oil cooler and factory ralle suspension with Andial motor and trans upgrades. The purists will Poo Poo it especially to upgrade one that was ordered new as a one off color to sample ( sunburst yellow paint. code #173 ) with pin striped cloth seats / cork leather and because it was not assembled at the factory as a SN. Alan Johnson ( AJ USA ) has a long history with Porsche racing before opening his Porsche Dealership in San Diego in 1977 and Modded Porsche's in the day as he had the connections. If I were to sell I would want more for it than a stock rare CTS lower mile ( this has 43k ) also in show condition with original paint example, so i may still have it for another 20 years. Big differences when you drive this vs stock. Once some drive both they may change their value (desirable) opinions.

Last edited by voitureltd; 11-16-2018 at 09:35 AM..
Old 11-16-2018, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
This Vintage built Alan Johnson SN, DE on Sunday drive to work on Monday, was done in 1983 with factory parts, even has the 934 oil cooler and factory ralle suspension with Andial motor and trans upgrades. The purists will Poo Poo it especially to upgrade one that was ordered new as a one off color to sample ( sunburst yellow paint. code #173 ) with pin striped cloth seats / cork leather and because it was not assembled at the factory.

Yeh I don't get that, seems goofy to me. Porsche played loose and free with a lot of things and kept sloppy records. The reputable tuners of the time used factory parts and enhanced factory performance in every way. My slant was a pre-1986 dealer conversion, I don't care what the value is but cringe every time someone asks me if it's "real".

Old 11-16-2018, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: