Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrx7tt View Post
I searched pretty extensively on eBay for an off the shelf solution for the 911/930. Was pretty set on the 93-95 rx7 v mount intercooler but would have to flip one of the end tanks and reorient the intercooler outlet. Too much work, especially after seeing the evo X. Here is a link to the rx7 v mount.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-Universal-3-35-V-Mount-Intercooler-For-FC-RX7/161353881312?epid=655245302&hash=item259170d6e0:g:Uf0AAOSw7I5TskSf
Scott, I bought this IC from Treadstone (<$500):

https://www.maperformance.com/products/treadstone-performance-trst9-series-intercooler-trstp9

It's made for a V8 car. Sorry the IC you bought from me didn't work out for you. I was going for bigger power, so I thought I needed a much bigger IC (higher flowing CFM). Honestly, I didn't pick up much power as far as I could tell from my butt dyno, and the turbo was laggier due to the increased volume of going from 2.5" ducting and IC to 3".

Point is, the IC I sold you was adequate for my estimated 600+hp.

Anyways, I had to cut off both inlet and outlet pipes and move to different locations. I also added bosses to mount it flat instead of vertical like a V8 car has it. It was a decent amount of work to make happen, but I am totally happy I'll never have to buy another IC again as it's good to 1300hp I think.

Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 02-08-2019, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Tippy,
The intercooler was adequate for my needs, it had plenty of cooling capacity, but I just never could get it to sit right. This is strictly for asthetics. The treadstone intercooler looks awesome, and would also be a great choice. It looks like a lot of the high dollar custom 930 intercoolers that are sold north of $3000. The intercoolers with the end tanks oriented front and rear looks much nicer. If I wouldn't have already ordered the Evo X, I would have been interested in the one you bought. I am only running 10lbs of boost, so pretty much anything would be adequate for my cooling needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post

https://www.maperformance.com/products/treadstone-performance-trst9-series-intercooler-trstp9

It's made for a V8 car. Sorry the IC you bought from me didn't work out for you. I was going for bigger power, so I thought I needed a much bigger IC (higher flowing CFM). Honestly, I didn't pick up much power as far as I could tell from my butt dyno, and the turbo was laggier due to the increased volume of going from 2.5" ducting and IC to 3".

Anyways, I had to cut off both inlet and outlet pipes and move to different locations. I also added bosses to mount it flat instead of vertical like a V8 car has it. It was a decent amount of work to make happen, but I am totally happy I'll never have to buy another IC again as it's good to 1300hp I think.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Scott, I thought the IC looked great on your car and put up some big numbers for a 3.0.

I'm sure that IC will sell like hot cakes.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 02-08-2019, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Nothing wrong with that eBay IC, I've seen it used over the years in a few other applications and it is a good design and will support a ton of HP.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I have the same intercooler as Tippy. Although Im not running it due to the fact that I got a 965 IC Im totally happy with the quality. I had them relocate one of the ports for an extra hundy.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post

Dear Tippy,

I want to use the same intercooler for my build. So you assume it is too big?

I see from your signature you are using the 964 intake manifold and have the IC centrally connected, as opposed to using a bend like the turbokraft and others. Do you have a picture of the connection?

Usual connetion for the turbokraft I/C and others with a bend to the centrall located throttle body (or ITBS)

EDIT: Picture not displaying properly and for whatever reason I cant upload the right version.

Planned treadstone setup (having to reweld both inlet and outlet.)

Last edited by Undutched; 02-11-2019 at 06:17 AM..
Old 02-11-2019, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

Undutched, no, its not too big. The increased volume just made the turbo slightly laggier.

In the photo, Im using the stock 3.2 intake. I simply used a 3 135 degree silicone hose to connect the IC outlet to the throttlebody.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Tippy,

when you switch over to the 964 unit, will you do the same or have you not switched over due to placement of the I/C outlet?
Important since I need to import the I/C as opposed to being able to send it back or testfit different units.
Otherwise I'd use the same I/C and do the same with the 3" 135 bend, which is a lot easier then fabricating the whole I/C, and jsut switching the inlet.
( I have a 964 NA-T conversion)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undutched View Post
Tippy,

when you switch over to the 964 unit, will you do the same or have you not switched over due to placement of the I/C outlet?
Important since I need to import the I/C as opposed to being able to send it back or testfit different units.
Otherwise I'd use the same I/C and do the same with the 3" 135 bend, which is a lot easier then fabricating the whole I/C, and jsut switching the inlet.
( I have a 964 NA-T conversion)
I plan on using the same IC in the exact same configuration as it is, minus using a different silicone adapter from the IC to 964 intake.

Won't know exactly which silicone adapter I'll need until I mock it up.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: