Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil level stabilisation time

Hi

New ish to a 930 but very familiar with 911s and 356s.

When I check the oil level on my new 930 I have to wait a while, 2-4 mins for the oil level to stabilise in the tank for me to check the level correctly.

If the engine is warm and I just pull up and wait 30secs before checking the oil it seems to give me a low and false oil reading and what appears to not be a true reading.

I seem to have to wait awhile for the oil to stabilise.

I assume this is common but I also didnt want to under fill the car and it is different to hat Im kind of used to doing.

Sorry if its a silly question but I check it regularly and want to make sure it is right.

Thanks

Scott
Old 03-29-2019, 03:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

if you verify the gauge is "close" to what the dip stick reads, you can check it every time you pull up to a stop light.
also, no need to fill it to the top.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 03-29-2019, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi

Thats part of my issue. The car doesn't get to half way temp and seems to run cool, which is great).
My assumption has always been that the oil gauge should match the temp, so with a low temp and long stabilization time the gauge isn't much use.

What I mean is when the temp gauge is half way the oil gauge should be as well. My engine temp really only get to 1/4 and that makes reading the oil hard if they are meant to match???

Generally I take it on a drive, let it idea for 5 mins to build engine temp and to get the oil stabilized and then check the oil on the dip stick (which does kind of match the gauge).

Oh I live in Dubai so either the traffic lights are short or on most drives we don't have any.

Last edited by Sorude; 03-29-2019 at 04:14 AM..
Old 03-29-2019, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorude View Post
engine temp really only get to 1/4

Generally I take it on a drive, let it idea for 5 mins to build engine temp
Check your gauge temp against an IR thermometer. It sounds to me like you're not running the engine long enough. I have a big cooler - but it takes me much longer than 5 minutes driving - not idling - to get the oil hot enough before I'll consider getting into significant boost.

And I avoid idling the 930. Especially when cold.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Sorude;10408709]Hi

My assumption has always been that the oil gauge should match the temp, so with a low temp and long stabilization time the gauge isn't much use.

What I mean is when the temp gauge is half way the oil gauge should be as well. My engine temp really only get to 1/4 and that makes reading the oil hard if they are meant to match???

????????????????
The temp gauge measures temp. The oil gauge is a float system in a tank. Not related.
Yes, true oil level is when engine fully warm. Otherwise will read short. Every time.
But the system operates on a scavenge pump. It can take a while, after sitting for a period, for the oil system to get to equilibrium - a good chunk of your oil is sitting in the crankcase until fully scavenged - in to your oil tank. While this is going on, more oil is being pumped around the engine - also to end up in the crankcase. So it can take a while and it has little correlation as to whether your temp gauge is at half.
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 03-29-2019, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Your engine is warm when the thermostat opens up around 180 deg. you can reach in the wheel well and feel if the lines after the thermostat are warm to verify.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 03-29-2019, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

the oil gauge is not tied to the temp gauge other than you should not check your level with it cold.

the oil gauge will show empty until the engine warms up,
the oil gauge will also drop when you accelerate.

you cant use the gauge unless it is idling and hot,

check the front cooler and make sure it is getting hot.
if your engine does not get up to temp either the temp sending unit is bad or your Tstat may be stuck open.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 04-01-2019, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Capt Bob

Garage
Dubai...been about a year since I was over there...hot and dusty. I would guess that with a lot of lights/stop and go traffic and the heat over there your 930 probably heats up quickly.

Sounds similar to my 930...the oil level gauge is low when cold (see photo), and then after the engine warms up to around 180 degrees the thermostat opens and the front oil cooler is the loop and the level on the gauge ends up somewhere around 3/4 full.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Capt Bob

Garage
And here are my gauges up to temp.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Massive thanks for the pics
Old 04-07-2019, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: