Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannobee View Post
Thanks for the video! I lived for a while in Sheffield lol

Old 05-17-2019, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocker View Post
I dunno, it looks like fun!
The first time it happens, yeah, you're right it's kinda fun.

After that it's just annoying when you're trying to holding a line out of a corner and you keep steering wide until that inner wheel gets back on the ground.

I added a rear sway bar to my car and it didn't make much difference. You can overdo it with super stiff sway bars (different car) that created more problems than solved them.

There was a thread on here a couple of years ago about a guy who had (still has?) a 930 that was completely dialed-in and was able to keep up with a new 911 at Willow Springs. On the straightaways the new 911 pulled away as it had more hp, but the 40 year old 930 was dead even in the curve sections. He had side-by-side videos of the two cars running around the track and breakdowns of the times, etc. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

About 20 years ago in nascar racing, we started going with the "big bar, soft springs" setups. It morphed into finding the biggest friggen sway bars we could find, then doing the spring calculations backward to get the front roll couple that we knew the car would need. And the cars went faster. A LOT faster. And the feedback to the driver was more predictable. What we knew was that the spring rate (actually the wheel rate; motion ratio and all that stuff), was necessitated by the banking of the track, with very high banked tracks requiring much stiffer springs. Flat tracks required soft springs, and in fact, wheel rates weren't much different from some sedan you drove every day. It's all about getting the tires to stick as hard as possible and the camber curve that an SLA suspension offered.

Fast forward to when I started caring about how my (relatively stock 996TT) Porsche's handled and I was stupefied at how stiff the spring packages were on the "track prepped" cars. Even though a strut suspension is less than ideal, the softer spring rates help the camber curve.
Now, I'm not saying that I know everything about strut cars that have way too much rear weight, but I do know that lifting one wheel off the ground isn't the fast way around the track. And cars with very stiff springs tend to be quick for a few laps, then the tires get too hot and the handling goes away. (softer springs = lower tire temps)
Old 05-18-2019, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewombat View Post
Keep in mind as danno was saying the point is to keep the inner front wheel planted on the ground accelerating hard out of a turn. Increasing the rear spring rate is to counter the twist of the car wanting lift the front inner wheel.

Steering out of a corner on one wheel is no fun.
Au contraire...

x: 62 356, 64 356, 76 930, 84 911 Targa, 85 ROW 911, 00 996, 07 Cayman S.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Found it, I was wrong about the year though it's a '72:

Fast through a corner -- 1960s technology still shines

And here's 15 years collected on the subject of ideal setups:

The Ultimate Street & Track Torsion Bars, Shocks, Bushings and Ride Quality Thread
Old 05-18-2019, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Functionista

@Redgard

Sent you a PM.

74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: