Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbodman930 View Post
I am here . . . to . . blow and to talk . . .
???

!!!

I what order?!?!?!?!
Old 07-09-2019, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

I didn't realize you were such a romantic.Wowsers

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2019, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
It's a changing demographic, the 930 owner. It's probably been a good 5+ years since I've heard the "how's the cost of maintenance for a 930, compared to a NA Carrera" question. Show up to Rennsport and half the cars in the corral are 930s. But actually out on the roads (and even in driving events) and there are never any other Turbos.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
So Kev....now your dissing my 944 turbo...thems being fight'n words don't-cha-be-know'n.

Mark
Old 07-10-2019, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollies930 View Post
Part of the problem seems to be that less and less people are willing to modify their cars to suit their tastes, but rather wish to backdate modified cars. And if they do modify their 930s, then it has to be something that can easily be changed back to original. 10 years ago the only home for a 3LDZ for instance, was a dumpster or maybe a coffee table. Nowadays the question keeps coming up about who can service them. Shaved raingutters, modified bodywork and the like are not to be contemplated, as this will make it near impossible to turn the cars back to concours original condition.
The meaning of the word enthusiast has changed somewhat, less and less HotRodder and more and more Restorer.
Been a very long time since I've posted and it seemed appropriate to post here and say hello to everyone. Still have the 930 slant and have rebuilt the engine(again) after the turbo ingested some header slag causing turbo to seize and engine ingesting a lot of oil. That was three years ago and still haven't finished the project.
I've been watching the auctions a number of years and it appears the collector market has split along the lines of "original" versus "resto-mod". In many cases the resto-mod cars were bringing in more money than the original cars. Maybe there's hope for us yet.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 07-10-2019, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
did I miss something happen here to stir this, or?

Great observations, Mark - largely agreed.

Me, it's a number of things. I was checking in pretty much daily just to keep up. I've made strong effort tho to limit my screen time and enjoy life so I'm not here as much. That, and honestly at 46 I'm pretty burnt / tired of wrenching on my POS's - of course, now that I have my lift installed.

Ah, the irony.

Coupled w/ the fact that I'd gotten my heap to where I want it, I've not had much to post. Until now that it ain't werkin. D'oh / damn / sigh. Still no resolution, towing to shop (ducks) next week just sched'd appt. 2nd time in a year, 1st was the botched throw out bearing engagement that kicked me in the nuts. Fme.

***queue I LOVE YOU GUYS / KUM-BY-A***

I'll echo, this place is by far the best out there in terms of knowledge base - it's unreal how many phone-a-friend hail mary convos I've had w/ you all! Hell, even Chris C ping'd me about my boost issue recently and took my call. Whattapal!

Also agree I've always asked a question than done a search, as whoever said it - I enjoy the interaction w/you all. Met some amazing (!!!!) people!

And... nearly as important to the experience here is... HUMOR. That to me is a major function of life, and you dildos never disappoint. I LOVE the camaraderie here, and as Flightlead said I'd MUCH rather hang w/ youses here than anyone - yer mah peeps! I've had the honor of partying w/ multiple dozens of you all since I got my car in '07 and it's been a _blast_. Sure hope for more.

Alex, when's yer NH turboPALOOZER anywho!?

Shannon, too funny on the bday bit - and - sorry to hear that we're so alike lol 8-) I'd be thicker skinned here tho and continue posting - who gives a fuch about some small minded dbag response - Fthem/Fthat.

Keep on keepin on men (errrrrrrrrrrrr)!

ps. a troubleingly conspicuous lack of GOAT CONTENT here I say, hmmmm... man, we've had some FUN here over the yearseses... let's keep it rollin...

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-10-2019, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbenae View Post
was linked here from another forum and read the 1st page. have just a few points after finding it relevant other than raw being in charge.

*your 930's are $100k cars are they not? when something cost that much your newest buyers these days pay a wrench to play, not learn to play with wrench in their garage to solve a problem. these folks won't search as they are accustomed to immediate satisfaction.

* the 911 forum is sick and dying. full or trakrats, mr miagi speaking down to CIS men that are already down, all the 3rd person title garbage, same questions again n again with parrots repeating what they've read having never done. admittedly I still search there from time to time finding the info I require.

all in all pelican forums are pretty much the best out here. ive have & continue to frequent other jeep, Duramax, DRZ Suzuki and countless other things ive dabbled forums in over the years and this place is far and away the best even if you have to wade through some crap from time to time.

plus, it's another place raw performs a few nights a week. what else could a caveman want?
I resemble that remark. Ironically this was discussed in the 911 forum a while back.

Actually the 911 forum has really come alive in the past couple of years. I started jumping in back then after seeing numerous posts asking basic questions going unanswered, or worse yet, some yahoo giving wrong advise.

Lately there have been a number of pros monitoring and giving sound advice over there.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 07-10-2019, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
There is one consistent theme on this threat that I wholeheartedly agree with, the searching capability sux. However Here are some good tips on how to use Google to search Pelican.

Example: Site:forums.pelicanparts.com "chain fence eating turbo" quickly finds all Tippy's posts. Not sure if that's a good thing, but there it is.
'86 no-sunroof 930 coupe: Emissions removed, FrankenCIS controlling eWUR, lambda, COP ignition, and EBC. SC cams, K-27/29, Tial 0.8bar, TK Longneck intercooler, RarlyL8 headers and dual-outlet hooligan
'14 Jaguar XK-R: Bullet proof windscreen, rotating number plates (valid all European countries), martini mixer, whatever you do don't press this red button!
Old 07-10-2019, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Just happened to log on for the first time in months, and thought I'd say hello. I was from that wave of enthusiasts in the early 2000s who wanted the ultimate track car, before the prices went insane and everyone went back to restoring for originality. It was very exciting to break new ground and develop the car the way I wanted. I'm definitely from the old school, having had my first ride in a 76 930 at the 1976 Porsche Parade in Brainerd, MN, and owned my first (79 930) in 1986. My latest (1978) 930, an EFI track monster, was sold in 2010 when I became more interested in GT3s. Here's a video from that car about 10 years ago.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
. That, and honestly at 46 I'm pretty burnt / tired of wrenching on my POS's - of course, now that I have my lift installed.

Ah, the irony.

Coupled w/ the fact that I'd gotten my heap to where I want it
ha- this is me also, finally got my lift installed, right at the point where i no longer want/or have the time to work on my cars as much.
would rather drive at this point.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbodman930 View Post
Every now and then I look up Cole930 just to read some of the mods he had done.I really did not know him but the guy really did some cool mods to his car and seemed to be a class act.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Same here. I bought my Intercooler from him years ago, and got to know him via PM. I find myself looking back at some of his posts. Super nice, humble, no attitude, just a straight up nice guy. I find myself just searching or pm'ing.

A930Rocket was another super guy long gone. We still hang out, but his 930 was sold years ago.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Turbofrog

I had big plans for last winter to clear all my ad hoc wiring (the center tunnel org. wiring burnt at nordsleife many yrs ago) and paint the bumpers but then the lazybiaach took over and I did nothing. I just want to drive. I did start the wiring job two days ago and intend to take the bumpers to paintshop next week though but yesterday I took it for a drive again. On the drive I had an unpleasant moment when suddenly I noticed strong smell of fuel and having had my 930 toed once after injector seal gave up it was A BAD moment to feel (fuel leaking over headers). Luckily it cleared away and when stopped there was no signs of leakage so hopefully it was the car in front of me.
79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, True split BB, 2*turbosmart38
Old 07-10-2019, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

I am a bit like the rest of you - I clock in and out - as circumstances take me. I spend many months away from my car (and the winter) and limited internet. Then I am back with the car and forum etc. Yes - something not quite like it used to be. Would have loved to have met Cole - one super guy. And I still have a bucket list of catching up with as many as possible some day. FWIW I am 67, and still peddling the old girl at the track (last w/end). I have a great w/shop - retirement present to myself, and the hoist is worth gold for the cranky old body. But I am at a point where I would prefer to avoid more engine teardowns etc. Just want to race it.
But this forum has been a HUGE part of my 930 experience. Love you guys. The beast seems to have a part of all you guys riding along with it. I will still be lurking here - just not as frequent as when I was trying to work out what a W/Gate, intercooler and turbo did. But long may this forum (and the contributors last). One by one we see the cars sold. But hopefully those guys (like J Fairman) still will clock in with their knowledge and just great to know they are still out there.
Right now I am dealing with a lack of fuel issue - I have a diagnosis plan hatched that will take a few days - but hopefully I will get to the answer of the cause.
More power to the boost.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Old car guy.....

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 930 View Post
Just happened to log on for the first time in months, and thought I'd say hello. I was from that wave of enthusiasts in the early 2000s who wanted the ultimate track car, before the prices went insane and everyone went back to restoring for originality. It was very exciting to break new ground and develop the car the way I wanted. I'm definitely from the old school, having had my first ride in a 76 930 at the 1976 Porsche Parade in Brainerd, MN, and owned my first (79 930) in 1986. My latest (1978) 930, an EFI track monster, was sold in 2010 when I became more interested in GT3s. Here's a video from that car about 10 years ago.

Wow! love the sound of a boosted aircooled at 6500+........to be 30 years younger.
1981 SC Steel Widebody, DP Lid, 930/51 to 3.2l, K27 7006 Turbo, DOD, P&P Twin Plug heads, Twinfire Ignition, Ruf Intercooler, Powerhaus headers, Zork, CIS Euro FD, 009 injectors, 044 pump, BLwur, 930 4 sp LSD, Mocal 44 w/fan, LM2, Brembo, Retroair, Euromeisters
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
I've been missing the forum for a while, lost my job last fall, which wasn't the worst thing in the world, but still sorting out severance with lawyers. Started a new business and been going crazy trying to build it up. Work has slowed right down on my turbo hotrod but hoping to have more time to play in future and start posting more as I do an EFI swap.
1975 Carrera / 965 tribute w/ 1989 3.3 turbo 8.5:1, custom Evergreen K27 7200, 964 cams, euro CIS, TEC1 dual plug, rarlyL8 headers & hooligan pipe. 915/68 trans, kevlar clutch and lightweight pressure plate.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

I get an automatic daily update of everything newly posted to this 9:30 forum.
It's unbeatable for amount of expertise and speed in which there are proposed solutions.

In regards to searching for an answer, that is very difficult, and searching for one's EXACT problem results in numerous threads to explore. It is much easier just to throw the question out there and get several answers within 24 hours, if not within an hour.

Furthermore, facts change with ongoing experience. Just as an example, whether to use insulation or blanket or not.

Why make a fuss about one not having to put in the time in doing research, when the answer can be so readily had by just throwing it out to the crowd of experts.

There is a very user unfriendly general turbo site that jumps on any newbies who pose a question. The old timers immediately demand that they go and do their research first. This is BS. You might as well send them to the library to go through the stacks of books to read them to get up to the experts' level of knowledge.
Yes, arrogance and elitism.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
What a funny name of this thread...made a point though.

It's good to hear some of you old timers (not necessarily old in age but been around awhile) are still around upgrading these cars and not going backwards to stock. I see that some of you mentioned the late Cole...man I miss hanging around with him at his place staying up all night talking about his 930 project which I saw progress over the years I visited him until his death. We talked non stop about upgrading 930 and about 934 through 962 race cars. Fun times.

GJF...don't let others put you down...whoever does has a problem!!!

Paul...what a bummer the you (including us) could not figure what the problem is with your Turbo. Hope it's something simple.

Alright...I'm going to create a new thread about my A/C project I did last summer. Gotta keep this Turbo board alive and interesting...
Old 07-11-2019, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD930 View Post
What a funny name of this thread...made a point though.

. . .
That thread title creation of Mark's/Rollin' on Dubs was inspired by a post I made a couple years ago in a thread that someone recently necromanced (I commented that the Turbo forum had been dead meat of late) - definitely a hilarious repurposing of words!
Old 07-11-2019, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

You old farts need STFU and go driving so you can put some life back into your peckers, or brake something give yourselves something to do. ���� That being said, you've kept me on the road...20K+ miles in 2 years of ownership, one top end rebuild (done by Walker) numerous redos of my mistakes while wrenching. Too busy fixing to post sometimes, too many projects. You guys are my Harbor Freight of cheap knowledge and are much appreciated. ����
Old 07-12-2019, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

I know why no one is posting much stuff these days..................all our cars are running perfectly.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 07-12-2019, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: