Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Rawknees and dead meat....

Dead meat forum as of late....yes I agree.

It occurs to me that the "new" group' of 930 posters are also new{ish} 930 owners.

So unfortunately for us old-timers {aka "limp meat"}, we have all heard the same set of questions time and time again, so it's become a little boring through repetition of topics.

Furthermore, and I know I'll get some heat over this, but it seems that the old-timers were a little more willing to try to fix the problem/figure out the problem/track down the info and such, then the new group of guys/girls are willing to do. They seem more into being handed the info/fix/experience rather than getting their hands dirty and figuring it out on their own. I garner a good portion of this opinion due to the responses of the newer members, saying things like "the shop I took it to", "the mechanic told me", "I was told that", etc., etc.

I have a very similar experience with the new group of Millennials that are in the work force these days. I am a senior quality control manager in the aerospace machining arena. When a machinist has an issue with a set-up or first article part, and I try to explain a solution, 9 times out of 10 the first thing they always say is "I didn't learn that in school, so I can't do it", hell they don't even try to think on their own!

Ok, ok I'm getting way off topic and just ranting to hear myself complaining, time to shut up.

Mark
Old 07-07-2019, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Yea, tell us about it.

What Pelican needs is a way to easily access and pass on the information that exists here.

A step in the right direction would be a new search feature, that uses Google perhaps. Or maybe assigning each thread some "key words" that could be easily searched.

As far as the hear-say goes, good luck with that.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 07-07-2019, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well at least the 930 forum has some life in it...whether it's newbies or not....take a look at the 930 forum of Rennlist....dead!
Old 07-07-2019, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Yep Mark, just a couple of days ago this forum went over 24 hours without a single post. Really something to see. I post in here less frequently than I used to because a few of my partners in shiit slinging have all but disappeared, I guess (Paul - few and far between post, Kenik, etc.). Maybe I should go nutz flinging feces and see if I can recruit some new meat !?!?
Old 07-07-2019, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Alas..if my 930 deal closes on Monday-ish, I too will be relegated to the 944 turbo forum, and will be banished from the 930 forum.

Oh the humanity!

Mark
Old 07-07-2019, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It is plenty easy to search the forum. But then how do people make connections and friends and grow the community?? Share your experiences and what you learned, that is the whole basis of a forum such as this....

Do you want to just pass on archived information or do you want to help a fellow enthusiast? If we just want to make it easier for new folks to find old info, then we can easily build an archive and the forum will have ZERO traffic. Then what will you do with your spare time? Search a forum with zero new posts this month???
Old 07-07-2019, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I know all of you guys are willing to help anyone and walk them through a problem.I have not posted anything in a long while butt hoping to change that now that I have my 930 back.Its nice to see that most of the same crew is still hear.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2019, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ronnie this time can you recruit females without mustaches.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Kev, that means you'll have to shave your stach (might consider shaving yer back while yer at it! )!!!
Old 07-07-2019, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

What time will you be here

Old 07-07-2019, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

I hear that your door is always open!!!
Old 07-07-2019, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Old timers rule! I'm guilty of not posting much anymore as well and I'm completely on board with the Quacksters comments. Old farts learn by doing first, and if not then by asking questions. Nowadays people just seem to give up too easily.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

ROFL....

this is a big part of why I daily look at this forum. I enjoy the banter and the knowledge of those who have gone before me deep into 930-land.

although I try to search for some info, doing a tub up full restore and modifying an older 78 SC/930 conversion means doing a lot of non-standard stuff. it seems hard to 'ask the right question' when searching.

hope to not bore you too much with my posts.

but now need to get that 924S carcass dragged over to pull the motor to use the block to rebuild my 951 track car engine.

sigh... just always something to keep me away from the 930. but got my boxes of stuff from Shaun at Tru6, and need to ship another box of stuff to him.

don't give up on the rest of us Mark.

86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I guess forums go through cycles just like everything else.
Not sure of the exact date but I started posting back in 1997. The forum was new and there were only about a dozen active posters. Within a few years the forum grew and just about every question had been asked. Instead of seeing conversation on a topic you got "do a search this has been discussed ad nauseum …" which really isn't that helpful. Now you see links to past threads which I think is better. The recession changed everything. The 930's changed hands from a more enthusiast oriented bunch to a more collector oriented owner. This is now softening though. The prices are coming back down and folks are starting to play with their 930's again. They don't do as much personal wrenching as the pre-recession owners did but the forum still has value, it helps the new owners see what they are getting into with specific repairs and if nothing else, how much it might cost them at the shop. Knowledgeable 930 mechanics and enthusiasts are dwindling, any info that saves time or points someone in the right direction is a big plus.
I'd like to see more guys post experiences with their 930, simple maintenance stuff and small tricks that make wrenching easier or faster. You might be surprised at what you think is mundane could be a huge help to someone.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
Yea, tell us about it.

What Pelican needs is a way to easily access and pass on the information that exists here.

A step in the right direction would be a new search feature, that uses Google perhaps. Or maybe assigning each thread some "key words" that could be easily searched.

As far as the hear-say goes, good luck with that.
You mean like the sticky threads at the top "my car won't start"?
'86 no-sunroof 930 coupe: Emissions removed, FrankenCIS controlling eWUR, lambda, COP ignition, and EBC. SC cams, K-27/29, Tial 0.8bar, TK Longneck intercooler, RarlyL8 headers and dual-outlet hooligan
'14 Jaguar XK-R: Bullet proof windscreen, rotating number plates (valid all European countries), martini mixer, whatever you do don't press this red button!
Old 07-08-2019, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alton View Post
It is plenty easy to search the forum. But then how do people make connections and friends and grow the community?? Share your experiences and what you learned, that is the whole basis of a forum such as this....

Do you want to just pass on archived information or do you want to help a fellow enthusiast? If we just want to make it easier for new folks to find old info, then we can easily build an archive and the forum will have ZERO traffic. Then what will you do with your spare time? Search a forum with zero new posts this month???
That's an interesting question. I don't know how many of us travel, personally I'm a road warrior. Perhaps thread or a document with peoples handles and location might help fellow enthusiasts get together for a brewski. I've reached out to one or two folks via pm a few times, but unfortunately due to client dinners never been able to make it happen. I'd seriously prefer to quaff an ale in some dive bar with a fellow 930 enthusiast than struggle through yet another boring client dinner at Mastro's lol
'86 no-sunroof 930 coupe: Emissions removed, FrankenCIS controlling eWUR, lambda, COP ignition, and EBC. SC cams, K-27/29, Tial 0.8bar, TK Longneck intercooler, RarlyL8 headers and dual-outlet hooligan
'14 Jaguar XK-R: Bullet proof windscreen, rotating number plates (valid all European countries), martini mixer, whatever you do don't press this red button!
Old 07-08-2019, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I was just talking to a fellow buddie also a pelican member about this last night on how I asked a question in the 911 tech forum on wiring connector help for fuel pump relays since the 930 forum is "dead" and I was looking for a quick response. Which I got :] Sending them off to Timmy2 here on pelican as he will recast the connectors new wires so I'll be all set for another road trip! I'll post up when I get them back and wired in.
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing bushings front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 07-08-2019, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Who has time to wrench on their own car these days? We arenít all retired old farts like Ronnie!
Old 07-08-2019, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I have found the 930 forum to be very helpful, if suggesting life without boost just isn't worth living, I'm sure I will be filling the forum once I finish collecting parts and begin apply them to the SC.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
Who has time to wrench on their own car these days? We aren’t all retired old farts like Ronnie!
^^Ha! That knuckle drager fixes more stuff in a week than I do all year. Even at his geriatric age.

I'm new. I did both. I asked a few questions in my build thread and outside of it.
Some things I just read an existing thread five times and tried my own thing.
Like the ultimate ignition thread. Ended up with a programmable MSD and my own timing curve that works great.

As for the AC up-grade I was a little biotch and bothered Rawknees constantly. I paid for his time...
Old 07-08-2019, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: