Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Classic Retrofit Electric A/C on Turbo

Are there any 930 or 911 turbo owners who have installed Classic Retrofit electric A/C?

I thought I'd give a heads up that I installed Classic Retrofit electric A/C last summer. On of the previous owner of my 930 removed all A/C related components so I decided to try the electric A/C. I knew it may not be as cold as Rawknees but I figured it's better than no A/C. The install took me about a 6 weeks working couple hours a night almost every day.

The hardest part is figuring how to install the condenser in the left rear wheel well using custom made brackets (formed aluminum double angle and steel Z-shaped) brackets. The condenser was designed to fit in the left front fender but I have an oil cooler there. I'm sorry to say that I did not take photos of each step/progress since I was going by trial and error. Also had to figure out the routing of the A/C hoses which was not too difficult. There were several two steps forward then one/two steps back installing the kit. For instance the initial fitting of the rear condenser would not work once I tried to install the hose fittings so I had to relocate the condenser (remaking and/or modifying the brackets). The 2nd time the condenser was too close to the rear tire. The 3rd time finally worked. The rear part of a condenser is really close to the rear tire (around 1/2" clearance) which concerned me but it cleared fine when I tested the clearance with rear coil over shock and sway bar removed moving the left rear wheel full range up and down.

The second hardest part is installing the blower/evaporator box and its duct hoses especially in the area of the brake booster. I bent several tangs used for original blower cover which cannot be used anyway which helped installing the blower/evaporator box. I had to remove and reinstall blower/evaporator box several times for different reasons (i.e. figuring out how much to cut away a small portion of the steering column cover and trial fitting A/C drain hoses, measure length of A/C hoses and installing A/C fitting, etc).

The other challenging part for me was the electrical wiring which I hate to do but took my time researching which wire goes where and to label the wiring. I decided to place the A/C controller button in the area of existing hazard/rear defroster buttons and deleted the unused A/C controller and fan switch on the center panel.

Installing the A/C compressor and drier in the smugglers box was easy relative to above challenges.

After all A/C fittings were installed and electrical work completed it was ready run the program via a laptop and supplied A/C electrical cable using a "Putty" program per Classic Retrofit's instructions which was straight forward. Once that's done then the A/C system is ready for leak test (pressured the system with nitrogen up to 150 psi then check for holding pressure for 30 min or so). Then it's ready for charging with R134a by weight (after pulling vacuum for several hours to pull any moisture).

The resulting vent temp is around 45deg F with outside temp around the low 90's. This is with the outside intake vent (behind the front trunk) about 1/3 open using supplied vent gasket. Since then I closed off the rest of the vent using thin plastic sheet which lowered the vent temp. I have not measured the latest vent temp yet but will do that sometime (I just rather enjoy driving!).

I'm glad I installed this A/C kit and now my wife would go for a cruise with me during the summer months which she did not before for the past 10 years without A/C. Late last summer we went to Eureka Springs for our weekend getaway the only time she complained about being too hot was when we are not in our car going for a walk downtown!

Here are several photos of the install. Go ahead ask any questions and I'll help anyway I can.

A/C Control Button Closeup

A/C compressor and blower in Front Trunk (99% complete...photo taken before connecting A/C blower cables)

Rear A/C Condenser Close to Rear Wheel

Last edited by MikeD930; 07-12-2019 at 08:36 AM..
Old 07-11-2019, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Very nice write up, Mike! And dayuuummnnn, I can relate to the do-overs you mentioned (seems to be the norm for me, regardless of how well I think I have something planned out ).

And it sounds like yer wife is a smart woman - no mobile a/c when it is hot out means non-operational mode of transport for me, too.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
You had me convinced until this;

now my wife would go for a cruise with me during the summer months

Good info, planning on putting this in one of my cars.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ac

Mike,

I just got back into an 89 930 black on black after 20 years from 86 930.

I love the car but living in Miami AC is a must. In your opinion is it better just to go with the electric AC,rather than go the changing hoses, condensers, etc.

The AC actually works not too bad but I drive it from my garage to work also away from the sun. I do use it in the weekend.

Thanks

Larry
Old 07-12-2019, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljpviper View Post
Mike,

I love the car but living in Miami AC is a must. In your opinion is it better just to go with the electric AC,rather than go the changing hoses, condensers, etc.

The AC actually works not too bad but I drive it from my garage to work also away from the sun. I do use it in the weekend.

Thanks

Larry
Nice job! I have no AC and I'm considering this companies as well as I've started to get more big road trips in with the car and it would be nice to roll the windows up from time to time to give my ears a break!
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing bushings front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts - Ruf speelines 17x9-10
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 07-12-2019, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Mike,
Thanks for the write-up. I have been looking at electric AC for a few months for some other cars. What would you estimate your cost for the installation?
I know you said your entire AC system has been removed from your car, but if you have an existing system in place, would it be a simple matter of a plumbing in the electric compressor?
Besides the horsepower drag due to a conventional compressor, what was your assessment of advantages of an electric one?

Appreciate your perspective.
Thanks.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yes, the big question is: Would you go this route again, versus the tried-and-true Griffith kit (which seems like it is far more "sorted" than this electric kit).
Old 07-12-2019, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
Mike,
Thanks for the write-up. I have been looking at electric AC for a few months for some other cars. What would you estimate your cost for the installation?
I know you said your entire AC system has been removed from your car, but if you have an existing system in place, would it be a simple matter of a plumbing in the electric compressor?
Besides the horsepower drag due to a conventional compressor, what was your assessment of advantages of an electric one?

Thanks.
From what I've read you tear out your whole old ac system. condenser/lines/pump. Advantages are uses less that 1hp to run ac and moves weight to the front off the car off the rear and weights a lot less than stock ac. The blower is a upgrade as well as it's a twin fan rather than the single fan these cars have stock. I've done lots of reading ha

Here's the full thread on the 911 tech.
Classic Retrofit: Lightweight Electric Air Conditioning
Here's the site for the ac.. maybe the dollar will keep strengthening and give us a discount!
https://www.classicretrofit.com/products/air-conditioning-kit-for-classic-911-full-kit
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing bushings front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts - Ruf speelines 17x9-10
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 07-12-2019, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Very nice write up, Mike! And dayuuummnnn, I can relate to the do-overs you mentioned (seems to be the norm for me, regardless of how well I think I have something planned out ).

And it sounds like yer wife is a smart woman - no mobile a/c when it is hot out means non-operational mode of transport for me, too.
Thanks Ronnie! Yep...do-overs a common thing we DIY's face when we work on our cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb07 View Post
You had me convinced until this;

now my wife would go for a cruise with me during the summer months

Good info, planning on putting this in one of my cars.
Ha-ha...just don't tell your wife about about the added A/C!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljpviper View Post
Mike,

Thanks

Larry
Hmm...since your 89 already have A/C I would do the common upgrades rather than rip everything out for electric A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobS911 View Post
Nice job! I have no AC and I'm considering this companies as well as I've started to get more big road trips in with the car and it would be nice to roll the windows up from time to time to give my ears a break!
Go for it...you won't be disappointed. Just don't expect vent temp to be in the low-mid 30's deg F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
Mike,

Thanks.
It cost me around $4000 since I did all of the work myself. Dunno if you farm out the job. If you do then I imagine it won't be cheap!

No...it would not be simple to just swap out the stock A/C to electric A/C. You would need to remove all stock A/C components.

There's no power loss when electric A/C kicks on...I can't tell power wise whether the A/C is on or off. It's a very efficient system which I'm impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocker View Post
Yes, the big question is: Would you go this route again, versus the tried-and-true Griffith kit (which seems like it is far more "sorted" than this electric kit).
As I said before...if your car already have A/C then I would use a Griffith kit or equivalent. Going electric A/C makes sense for those who don't have A/C components and/or those who wants to move the weight to the front.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Mike,

Is it possible to install the condenser behind the rear tire? Is there enough hose length to accommodate this? And did you upgrade to the high output alternator?
Old 07-12-2019, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
From what I've read you tear out your whole old ac system. condenser/lines/pump. Advantages are uses less that 1hp to run ac and moves weight to the front off the car off the rear and weights a lot less than stock ac. The blower is a upgrade as well as it's a twin fan rather than the single fan these cars have stock. I've done lots of reading ha

Here's the full thread on the 911 tech.
Classic Retrofit: Lightweight Electric Air Conditioning
Here's the site for the ac.. maybe the dollar will keep strengthening and give us a discount!
https://www.classicretrofit.com/products/air-conditioning-kit-for-classic-911-full-kit
I'm not sure how well or poor the stock A/C blower works. As you know the stock 911/930 has two blowers (one for A/C evaporator and another for fresh air...correct me if I'm wrong). Before I went with electric A/C the stock A/C evaporator was missing but did have a stock fresh air blower. Anyway the electric A/C takes in place of a fresh air blower. I remember running the stock fresh air blower at high speed which was impressive. A good amount of fresh air blew thru the center vent. On the other hand with the electric A/C blower it does not seem to blow as much air thru the center vent. Maybe that's due to excess length duct hose I have used from the blower to the center vent. I think the problem is on our 930 the passenger side and center vents share the same ducting from the stock blower. The electric A/C blower has extra duct outlets for the side vents which I capped off at the blower. There's a white "Y" shaped connector that feeds to the side and center vents. I could remove it and split the ducts but looks like I'd have to 'destroy' the "Y" connector. Hence the reason to use stock configuration.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dap930 View Post
Mike,

Is it possible to install the condenser behind the rear tire? Is there enough hose length to accommodate this? And did you upgrade to the high output alternator?
I'm trying to remember if there's more or less room behind the rear tire versus front of rear tire...I forget. I can check later. Anyway I never considered it since my 930 has intake turbo pipe in the rear much like TurboKraft's design (air filter in engine bay with tubing thru body into wheel well back and down to the turbo compressor housing). My car has 90A alternator so there's no need to upgrade. But I've read that the electric A/C would work at full capacity at idle with high output alternator. It's not a problem for me since I don't do much driving in heavy traffic.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Great write up - thanks for doing that.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 07-12-2019, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD930 View Post
I'm not sure how well or poor the stock A/C blower works. As you know the stock 911/930 has two blowers (one for A/C evaporator and another for fresh air...correct me if I'm wrong). Before I went with electric A/C the stock A/C evaporator was missing but did have a stock fresh air blower. Anyway the electric A/C takes in place of a fresh air blower. I remember running the stock fresh air blower at high speed which was impressive. A good amount of fresh air blew thru the center vent. On the other hand with the electric A/C blower it does not seem to blow as much air thru the center vent. Maybe that's due to excess length duct hose I have used from the blower to the center vent. I think the problem is on our 930 the passenger side and center vents share the same ducting from the stock blower. The electric A/C blower has extra duct outlets for the side vents which I capped off at the blower. There's a white "Y" shaped connector that feeds to the side and center vents. I could remove it and split the ducts but looks like I'd have to 'destroy' the "Y" connector. Hence the reason to use stock configuration.
Good info. I'll def go this route when funding is there.. rust to fix then paint first though for me! I'm sure the vent temp at mid 40 degrees will work just fine for me out here in CO. In the other 911 tech the retrofit guy mentioned they are working on a dual condenser set up as well on a project ruf car. That would drop the temps.. but I'm sure i'd be happy with the single condenser after reading others feedback as well as yours. Enjoy that AC I sure wish I had it right now ha
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 07-12-2019, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
CO is usually pretty dry so you'll love this kit.

Dennis (dap930)...I took another look at the rear fender well...I believe a condenser will fit behind the rear wheel but you'll have to fabricate more complex and larger mounting brackets. Also, I think you'll need another 3 feet of each A/C hoses (there are two different size A/C hoses). I'm sure that Jonny would know about the extra length hose you'd need.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Yep, it is amazing how vent temps don't have to be super cold when the environment is not a nasty, humid, burnass mess like here in the DFW area (not saying that 40 isn't respectable, but it doesn't compare to high 20s-low 30s in terms of outright heat shedding ability).

Mike, did you have to buy the solid gold, around $1000.00 alternator? At least one guy in 911 tech said that really woke his electric a/c up.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD930 View Post
CO is usually pretty dry so you'll love this kit.
Ya that's what I'm thinking. I know if won't keep my meat as chilled as rawkdeezzz nutzz, but it should do the trick for co climate!
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 07-13-2019, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Ya that's what I'm thinking. I know if won't keep my meat as chilled as rawkdeezzz nutzz, but it should do the trick for co climate!
It takes a lotta' mo' BTUs to chill deez nutz down!!!
Old 07-13-2019, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Mike, did you have to buy the solid gold, around $1000.00 alternator? At least one guy in 911 tech said that really woke his electric a/c up.
No...I did not have to buy CR alternator...yeah it's pricey!! Those who have weaker alternators (less than 90A) would need to upgrade and those with 90A driving in heavy traffic often would benefit as you said. I'll plan to upgrade if/when my stock alternator quits.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: