Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Dayuumnnnn, ClutchInMonkeyBallz, that is one sweet looking 964 Turbo (despite the Barbie Dream Car color ) - really like those when decked out with splitter and wing like that.

And Alan, you are one funny bisch, ya' bisch!!!

Old 07-20-2019, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Dayuumnnnn, ClutchInMonkeyBallz, that is one sweet looking 964 Turbo (despite the Barbie Dream Car color ) - really like those when decked out with splitter and wing like that.

And Alan, you are one funny bisch, ya' bisch!!!
i assume the colour was why it was cheap
Old 07-20-2019, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

I am counting down to 70 yrs on this planet now. After a while you start counting backwards. Luckily the last 20 or so have been with a 911. I often tell people some of the best $s I have spent in my lifetime was taking the plunge on the SC - when I really couldn't afford it. I have had several offers over the yrs to buy my SC - and it has never been for sale. The 930..... well all I can say is it keeps you young. I'm actually being serious now. Last yr it set the quickest lap time I have had in it - after 10 yrs on the track. Once I get the current issue sorted and another 7006 bolted on, I expect to beat that.
They may not be good for your wallet, but they are the best health supplement you can buy.
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 07-21-2019, 12:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Like most of you I fell in love with the 930 due to the beautiful fenders and the kick in the pants. I bought my '76 turbo Carrera in 1989 just as I was going back to college after working in a machine shop, and other adventures for ten years. At that time the early 930 was considered a money loser and prices were low. My '74 Carrera was T-boned by a red light runner and I was looking for another 911 when this 930 fell in my lap. I didn't know much about the 930s but I did like the low production early cars, non- intercooler, engine mounted 1.25" for ward of the 911 Turbos, and that early whale tail...beautiful lines that flowed with the fenders. Being a college student, having no money, and understanding very little about 930s I ran the car into the ground; then parked it in my garage for 18 years.

Rahl
Old 07-21-2019, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey there Noah,

The 888, the 907I.E., the Mustang and the Jag have gone to new homes already.

Of the cool stuff, only the 930 and the 944 turbo remains to be sold. The other more mundane rides like the '66 Bug, my GMC 4x4 and the wife's Volvo will sell more easily I do believe.

I just can't believe the difficulty of finding a buyer for the 930, it really is a choice, well sorted corner carver, that has been maintained to a very high level. If any garage queen wanabe buyer ever actually drove the car after driving a stock suspension "wallow-mister", the decision would be instantaneous. The difference goes way beyond night and day.

Well, I still have a little over a year to find a buyer, so I'll keep a positive mind set, and hope a smarter more alive person comes around.

Mark
Old 07-21-2019, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
So one year for me to win the lottery. OK, I'll get right on it.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

I fell in love with the Turbos as I was walking in a neighborhood that we were in short term, and there was a 964 Turbo parked in a car park. I literally stopped and stared at how wide it was and how mean looking. I immediately went and knocked on the guys' door and he was gracious enough to let me ask him a thousand questions. Then began my long research into air-cooled Porsches and I fell in love with the 930. Luckily I found one that fit my vision for what I'd want to build it into and now 3 years later, it's the one car that my wife has said I'm never allowed to sell.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Growing up in Austria in the 60's and 70's, my father and his friends all had Maseratis, Ferraris and DeTomasos. I always considered Porsches to be rather pedestrian VWs with an extra pair of cylinders. In 1985 I moved to Florida and found a 4.9 Bora for a very reasonable price and drove the hell out of that for a couple of years.
Not too long after that I got married and my then wife irritated me into selling the Bora to cover her credit card debt. A little over six months later I found myself without a wife or sportscar. Unfortunately the exotic car market had gotten a big price increase and after some research, the most exotic car I could afford then was a 930. Never ever having driven one, I absolutely fell in love on the first test drive, a white 1979 with green interior. This car accelerated like mad and steered like a go-kart. After a little more searching I found a 1978 Petrol Blue 930 with Martini stripes, black leather and thermal reactors removed. It had a bad throw out bearing and the owner let it go for a steal. Soon after I found some people who had raced 935s, met Dave Jarvis and learned about bigger turbos. The thing that really attracted me to these cars was the fact, that it was a difficult car to drive at the limit, but if done right, it was very rewarding, especially with 964 cams, twin plug ignition, headers and a 60-1 turbo. One of my favorite things to do was to four wheel drift the car on highway on ramps and entering the highway at the top of 3rd gear. But after multiple blow ups, I parked it with the intention of building an electronic injected car with a lot more power yet, but more reliable. 20 years later and I am finally getting back on building it.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Sounds like a lot of unfinished projects out there. Hopefully not future barn finds.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 07-21-2019, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Alan

I am 100% with you when it comes to relationship with my "machines", no matter if Motorcycle, car or lathe

Plus: I guess I am sick

BTW Is it just my feelings or am I the youngest around here with my 47years?

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 07-22-2019, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
great post, Alan - really enjoying learning everyone's stories here, fun to know more about e/o etc

and completely agreed - these cars now attract investors, whereas they used to mainly attract hotrog vagabonds

also completely agreed about Rennlist, I *always* (every second on there) felt ennnnntiiiiiirely waaaaaay outta my tax bracket on there... lol / d'oh

here is where mah peeps be at! BEN! Good to see you back here and w/ new creds...

Me, mine found me fall of '07 by way of my best bud wanting to sell his '04 GT3 to our other friend who had this bone stock '87 930 w/ 39k, so he could buy an '07 orange GT3RS. In order for that transaction to happen quickly, they needed a buyer for the 930 so the folded me into their warped fray.

I knew 'what' it was, but not much about them. Learned immense metric shiit tons of invaluable ownership info from you all over all these years, couldn't own this car w/o this place 100000% certainly. Built it up myself (well, w/ help of many of youses heh heh) to where I want it and now just enjoy driving it. Got kinda burnt out on building / fixing it, which is sad for a mere 46 lol dunno what my prob is lately (don't answer!).

I oft debate punting again (heh, many may recall I'd punted it to Toronto in '13 only for it to boomerang back to me 18mos / 200mi on it later, long story) for something like an R8 v10 a 550M or a Vantage V8 6spd, as old car syndrome is wearing (power lock issues, sunroof issues, heat issues, issues issues d'oh).

But I always snap right out of that noise w/ every crack of the key and the straightpipingly cammed fury of awesomeness my POS spews forth... it's wickedly addictive to own / drive.

Kumbya, love you guys! (nohomo)

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-22-2019, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered
Worries you won't find a buyer and you'll dump it for $30k out of frustration and desperation. Have seen that many times, and also benefited from desperate sales (usually the kids selling dad's car, which they had no idea of worth or cared about it).

I'm sure you have looked at many other options, including selling it abroad to Europe or even Japan, right? How about Oz?
For instance, ship it to Australia and spend a month there, en route to Thailand, driving around with a for sale sign....or India?

Even the poorest areas, worst ghettos, and poorest countries, have millionaires.

How about some wealthy Russians, either in Russia or one of its satellites, or Russians in England?

Do you have any POCs already in Thailand? Someone who can connect you with a government official or Royalty?
Old 07-22-2019, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Baloo,

Most countries have very strict importation rules and exorbitant fees, or at least one of the 2.

As an example, it would cost me a minimum of $65K to import the 930 into Thailand, and that does not include the mandatory insurance or licensing it, or the actual shipping overseas, so NOT cost effective. As of January 1st, Thailand will not allow ANY foreigner to bring in a private car.
Regarding Australia, you can not import a car unless you have first lived there for a period of 1 year min, the car has to pass all inspections and be pre-approved for import, and the car will sit in impound quarantine for a period of time after arrival....no free ride there. I sold my Ducati 888 to an Australian, and even being that he WAS an Aussie, it still was a huge process for him to get the bike thru customs, took about 1-1/2 months for him to receive the bike after arrival.
Malaysia, Singapore, etc. will not allow any car to be imported if it is more than 7 years old.
I could go on-n-on-n-on, but I think you get the picture.

Pelican is worldwide, Rennlist is worldwide, BaT is worldwide....so that gets some of that market.
Other than the normal avenues of sales, I'm fresh out of KGB contacts, and don't have any friends in the UAE to sell to the land of fun-n-sun.

Any hard contacts you might have would be greatly appreciated if passed along.

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 07-22-2019 at 12:15 PM..
Old 07-22-2019, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered
Mark,
Looks like disaster ahead. Hope something comes through -- all it takes is ONE.

In the military, there were always stories about Saudi/Arab sons of princes attending military schools (as well as similar stories of them in a US college) and buying a really expensive car -- and then giving it away when they left the US.

Maybe if you drove the car on a campus, looking for an Arabian playboy...
Old 07-22-2019, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffighter View Post
Alan

I am 100% with you when it comes to relationship with my "machines", no matter if Motorcycle, car or lathe

I love working on my lathe. Happily spend hrs creatinga pile of metal shavings. Most useful tool in the w/shop.
Sick, we may be - but alive also. Doin' stuff.
Regards
Alan
Old 07-22-2019, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Now jump forward 12 years and I find my self getting ready to retire to Thailand, so now the 930 needs a new home, but all I can find are folks wanting dead stock garage queens or dealers trying to get it off me for $50K.
So even though I did not care then, and really don't care now about stock 930's, my decision then is biting me in the ass now! Can't seem to find a buyer to save my ass!
Mark
Yeah, unless its low miles, rare spec/color and stock 50-80k is about the top of the range now.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 08-30-2019, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proffighter View Post
Alan

I got you by a year, Iím 46

Back on topic, I was lucky enough to get an early car before they skyrocketed. Iím in love with the lines of the car, the iconic headlights, wide flares, the delicate whale tail of the early cars. I get waves, thumbs up, and cheers, especially when blasting by at full boost. Then thinking how Iíve mastered driving this beast, then she shows me a trick or two, keeps me infatuated, with fear and satisfaction all at once.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 08-31-2019, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Non User

Garage
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 08-31-2019, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Old car guy.....

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by infraredcalvin View Post
I got you by a year, Iím 46

Back on topic, I was lucky enough to get an early car before they skyrocketed. Iím in love with the lines of the car, the iconic headlights, wide flares, the delicate whale tail of the early cars. I get waves, thumbs up, and cheers, especially when blasting by at full boost. Then thinking how Iíve mastered driving this beast, then she shows me a trick or two, keeps me infatuated, with fear and satisfaction all at once.
The young guns.....

1981 SC Steel Widebody, DP Lid, 930/51 to 3.2l, K27 7006 Turbo, DOD, P&P Twin Plug heads, Twinfire Ignition, Ruf Intercooler, Powerhaus headers, Zork, CIS Euro FD, 009 injectors, 044 pump, BLwur, 930 4 sp LSD, Mocal 44 w/fan, LM2, Brembo, Retroair, Euromeisters
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car. Sold
Old 09-01-2019, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: