Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE summer - Indian Wells, CA winter
Garage
Lost reverse

Howdy, Need your thoughts on possible cause of my gear shifter not going into reverse. A little history... had my trans rebuilt 5 years ago due to problems with 2nd gear. It has worked beautifully ever since the rebuild. Over the last month, shifting has been a little sloppy but no real problem going into reverse or any of the forward gears. Yesterday drove to the store, parked, but when I restarted the car to leave the gear shifter would not go into reverse. I was able to drive home but the shifter was very sloppy.

I have removed the shift rod coupler that showed a fair amount of play. The shift rod bushing had disintegrated with its pieces found lying in the trans tunnel. The shifter ball cup appears to be in good shape.

My basic question is weather or not the condition of these bushings and coupler could be the cause of the trans not going into reverse.

My car is a 1988 930 factory slant nose with 60,000 miles. Other than NO REVERSE , the car runs beautifully and is driven less than 1,000 miles a year.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

J.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

[QUOTE=930slant;10562161]

I have removed the shift rod coupler that showed a fair amount of play. The shift rod bushing had disintegrated with its pieces found lying in the trans tunnel. The shifter ball cup appears to be in good shape.

My basic question is weather or not the condition of these bushings and coupler could be the cause of the trans not going into reverse.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Forward 4 gears worked but no reverse. The same as when my 79 turbo experienced the exact same condition. Replaced the broken parts you described on yours below the gear shifter. Nice and tight now and much shorter throw shifting. I had noticed it getting sloppier over the last few years. I also had the trans rebuilt ( syncro's ) a few thousand / 4 years or so ago. At that time they had replaced the coupler between front and back seats under the access plate which was also worn.

Last edited by voitureltd; 08-18-2019 at 11:16 AM..
Old 08-18-2019, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Fix your shift-coupler bushings and your problem will be solved.

Rahl
Old 08-18-2019, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
when i had no reverse it was the coupler bushing
Old 08-20-2019, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I had the exact same problem a few weeks with my 84 Slant on my 2000 mile roundtrip to Boca for the Parade...Lost reverse in Gainesville and drove on the Boca. I found a shop near the Boca Resort hotel area who was able to repair...both the bushing under the lever and the coupler behind the seats...both were bad......it was an Indy shop....but get this...I called Champion figuring they would have to have parts and would repair, but their Service Mgr declined to work on it...too old and the techs on hand were not trained...I could not believe they would not do such a simple repair.

Other than that issue the car ran flawlessly....and with the improved AC was more than comfortable on the road. We drove straight back...950 miles in 14 hrs...
Old 08-20-2019, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry I haven't responded sooner... family stuff.

I took my shift coupler to the local Porsche dealer and compared it to a new coupler. Mine seemed to actually have less play than a brand new one. Their lead tech and parts guy said I would be waiting my money to buy a new one. So I reinstalled mine along with a new ball cup and shift rod sleeve. In spite of the fact that the shift action is much tighter and smoother, I still can't engage reverse.

I did read on another post that the problem may be a pin inside the trans that has come out. Not sure of the implications but if a repair involves going into the trans, any idea what kind of a financial hit I will take?

As always, thanks so much for your replies.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You only mentioned checking the coupler under the access plate between the front and rear seats. There are two places not just one that wear out and break up.. The other is attached to the bottom of shift handle that you shift with.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I did replace the ball cup and the shift rod sleeve bushing. Shifting is much improved... except for reverse is still unavailable. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
930slant,

Do you know how to adjust the shift coupler, and, have you adjusted it so far out that you no longer can get it into 3rd and 4th, but still NOT get it into reverse?

Rahl
Old 08-24-2019, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Shift action is much smoother and crisper since installing new bushings and adjusting the coupler. I am able to engage all four forward gears but am unable to move the gear shift to the left into the "slot" where I would normally push forward to engage reverse.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I believe it's out of adjustment...try to re-spline the shifter connector until you get all the gears to engage including reverse. This may take several tries.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, Iíll give it a shot this weekend.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Finally got back to it and found that the shift coupler was the culprit. Still can't figure out how it was able to get out of sync as the bolt holding it in place was VERY tight when I remove it from the car for inspection.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: