Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Dash repair/replacement recommendations

I have my car in the shop for some minor paint repair and PDR work and as part of touching up a tiny surface rust bubble it looks like the front windscreen needs to come out.

So, now is the time to repair or replace my warped original dash.

What is the recommended approach? Repair, recover, replace with plastic?

Who are the recommended vendors?

Thanks

'86 no-sunroof 930 coupe: Emissions removed, FrankenCIS controlling eWUR, lambda, COP ignition. Tial f46P 1.0 bar spring, SC cams, K-27/29, lightweight clutch, TK Longneck intercooler, RarlyL8 headers and dual-outlet hooligan
'14 Jaguar XK-R: Bullet proof windscreen, rotating number plates (valid all European countries), martini mixer, whatever you do don't press this red button!
Old 09-16-2019, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I would call just dashes.I believe there on Vannuys Cali.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2019, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Need to pull my dash out too some day to get some cracks fixed (in other words, recovered with new vinyl). My limited understanding is that it can be removed without having to take out the windscreen. Sure hope that's true 'cause I don't relish taking out the glass.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Wut! If thats true give us a link. Not holding breath though
Old 09-17-2019, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

You can take the dash out without taking the glass it's a pain in the a$$ because how close the windshield is.The best tool for the job is a ratchet Phillips right angle screw driver.If I had to do it again I would have pulled the glass.If and when you do pull the dash there are two studs with nuts on either side behind the center vent.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Who does leather dashes? I do not see a leather option on their web site.

Rahl
Old 09-17-2019, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

This one looks nice...

911 Dashboard, Complete Part# 146

Only 5 lbs... who doesn't love carbon fiber? Besides the wallet of course.

"Frankenstein" - 964 C4 chassis/driveline - 993 widebody/Speedster look - VEMS standalone - twin plug high compression 3.6L N/A engine - 945cc cc/min injectors - Bosch 044 pump - GT45 @ 1bar/14psi - non intercooled/wingless - E85 fuel - turbo inlet water meth inj. - 3.5" exhaust - GT3RS clutch + LWFW
Old 09-17-2019, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Can be done but total PIA, pulling the glass is pretty simple. It's getting it back in centered proper that's difficult. And keeping the trim straight... Really need another set (or sets) of hands to get it to set right but makes pulling the dash pretty easy.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I agree 100%

Old 09-17-2019, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 993Speedster View Post
This one looks nice...

911 Dashboard, Complete Part# 146

Only 5 lbs... who doesn't love carbon fiber? Besides the wallet of course.

Wow I like that carbon dash, cheaper than a new dash and probably not far off cost of recovering the exiting dash. Would be right at home in my hotrod.

SOLD: 1975 Carrera / 965 tribute w/ 1989 3.3 turbo 8.5:1, custom Evergreen K27 7200, 964 cams, euro CIS, TEC1 dual plug, rarlyL8 headers & hooligan pipe.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I don't like the fact that you have to remove the metal housing.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I have my car in the shop for some minor paint repair and PDR work and as part of touching up a tiny surface rust bubble it looks like the front windscreen needs to come out.

So, now is the time to repair or replace my warped original dash.

What is the recommended approach? Repair, recover, replace with plastic?

Who are the recommended vendors?

Thanks
Same question here, what, if any, are the recommended options for a leather replacement that looks factory?????
Old 09-17-2019, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Classic 9?

Porsche 911 1970 1998 Dash Board Cover
Old 09-18-2019, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
We put so many new windshields in the SCCA race car {2-3 a season}, that it became second nature. Me and 1 helper could do it in under 15 minutes.

However, if it's your first go around, it's tedious to the point of utter frustration!

A soapy water spray container and a good-strong-small-ish diameter nylon cord is all you need.
Wacking it into place with the flat palm of your hand, is the hardest trick to learn.

Mark
Old 09-18-2019, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I've been trying to get my dash out without removing the windshield for a few days..........
Today I kicked out the windshield(not as violently as it sounds) and removed the dash and whoa, I couldn't have done it without removing the windshield. The clips in my 77 couldn't be reached without and even with all my gauges and blower unit removed and clipping all the fasteners(clips) off I still had a hard time because of the orientation of the threaded inserts.
The windshield is easy to remove and I have done the install in the past. I also need paint so all windows are coming out anyway. Just my .02
Old 09-18-2019, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Yes the pre-84 small center vent dashes are impossible to take out without windshield removal. Post ‘84 it’s possible but challenging as has been mentioned.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Ok, so on my 79 it's impossible. I thought I had it figured out earlier but memory is not so good anymore.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I pulled my dash out without pulling the windshield because somebody had broken off the studs from the mid-section of the dashboard when installing without removing the windshield. If yours has been there since new, the studs should be in place. While they are not required, they sure hold it much better in place than with only the studs closest to the driver and passenger edge of the dashboard.
When I reinstalled mine, I made sure all the studs were there.
If you have a leather dashboard, there is also 4 small screws that are hidden under the windshield rubber seal holding the leather tight to the metalwork so you would need to remove the windshield.
I found removing the windshield not to be that hard if you cut the old seal out, reinstalling was not too bad either following instructions on here with a new genuine gasket on a warm sunny day.
I would say on a 79 to 88 car you need to get the windshield out. Newer cars had the full length vent strip instead of the two small defrost vents and may be easier.

1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 09-19-2019, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: