Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brando

Garage
They’re all factory 915 up to 87’. The solution is 930 or g50

Old 12-28-2019, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 786 View Post
Iíve read this many times over the years. Whatís the solution for factory 915 cars then? Iíve heard even a rebuilt/strengthened 915 wonít last and early 930 gearboxes are not cheap or easy to find to swap in.
The later year 930 gearboxes are not too difficult to find. It's the added cost of getting the bellhousing shortened. I'm not sure what that individual cost is though. $3000 is my ballpark guess. ??

I just pulled my motor/915 transmission out to stuff a 930 gearbox in it. I broke something in 3rd at the track this past August. My boost wasn't even at full (~360whp). Most of the 915 transmissions are 40 years old, and without a rebuild plus the added stress of a turbo it won't take long to break. I turboed mine in October of 2015. So it did last awhile. But like Ronnie said, I was one of those dainty drivers with the 915.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Just to add a little mumbojumbo to what Brandon and Kyle said above, the input shaft of the later 930 boxes also has to be modified, but while adding some expense, and general hassle (as Kyle mentioned), the mods are a straightforward procedure (no experimental voodoo involved ) that certain shops can do.

Also, the Wevo parts help minimize flex and stress by keeping the components aligned, but of course, does not address the skinny gears themselves. So if a 915 is to be used, then engine torque should really be limited to well under 300 ft lbs by keeping boost pressure low. But that said, even with a torque bump to say, 250-270 ft lbs at about 5psi boost, that is enough of an increase in acceleration force to have someone accustomed to the torque of a n/a 3.2, etc., going "Ohhhhh shiiiiiiitttttt" for a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons911 View Post
Geronimo, how are you still debating joining the dark side? I thought we settled that in a previous thread. . . .
I've been working that bisch, Geronimo, for over a year now, to discard his n/a thoughts and grow a set of real, boosted ballz, but all my methods have failed so far (subliminal messages, hype, questioning his manhood, posted turbocharger gifs, and even an elaborate meme-post that I created, etc.)! There might not be much hope for that chowderhead!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 12-28-2019 at 10:17 PM..
Old 12-28-2019, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Yes, very.
The turbo pancake manifold can make good power but not as much as the 3.2 manifold, but it needs efi to work. Can't use the 3.2 and keep cis easily. Efi is better anyway. Your car will love a turbo.
A little off-topic here, but why Porsche used CIS on the Turbo model when they already had EFI (and a very good EFI at its time)?, The Motronic system is far more advanced and has a much better control and precision for both the fuel and spark for any turbo setup.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons911 View Post

To the original question: a turbo setup with an intercooler should be fine on the current engine build for the power level you're looking at. The real issue is engine management. I don't know if there are turbo chips floating around anymore. I'm pretty sure the protomotive chip hasn't been a thing for some years now.
I think Todd can still supply the chip and fpr. If not, I'll likely have a chip/dme for sale shortly after my vems arrives.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 12-29-2019, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaro View Post
A little off-topic here, but why Porsche used CIS on the Turbo model when they already had EFI (and a very good EFI at its time)?, The Motronic system is far more advanced and has a much better control and precision for both the fuel and spark for any turbo setup.
Hard for me to say. I guess money for design when it was still working pretty good? When the 964 turbo cis ended in 92í or whatever it was still the fast car. Not just for Porsche. It was still the benchmark for speed.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglepore View Post
I think Todd can still supply the chip and fpr. If not, I'll likely have a chip/dme for sale shortly after my vems arrives.
Todd Knighton (Protomotive) put a Phase 1 system together for me about a year ago; I installed it into my '87 3.4L. I supplied him my headers, AMF, and FPR; he sent back a complete headers-to-throttle body turbo system, with custom Motronic. The set-up was really great. (I have since added a full bay intercooler, but that's another story ). Todd knows the Motronic system very well.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Happy New Year everyone!

To chime in, Todd at Protomotive still supplies the chip required for the 3.2 Carrera Turbo conversion. You can also get their Dual Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator if desired.

I have recently completed my 3.2 Carrera conversion to turbo although I am currently improving upon the piping system and tracking a boost leak. I intend to write a post about my project some time in the future.

It is worth mentioning that my car is a Euro 3.2 Carrera with 10.3:1 Compression Ratio!

1987 911 3.2 G50 - RUF Speedlines/Strut Brace/Steering Wheel, Mille Miglia Exhaust, KEP Turbo Clutch, Koni Adjustables, 23/29 TBs, ERP Metals, WEVO Shifter, 996 Turbo Brakes, etc.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: