Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

AFR gauge

I'm having trouble dialing in my air/fuel mixture, car hesitates/surges on hard acceleration/boost. The shop I'm working with suggested installing an AFR gauge so that we can get some more precision on adjusting the mixture than just "by feel", and have actual data to go on. Any suggestions on good AFR gauges (both functionally and aesthetically)? Any creative install pics? I've currently got an aftermarket boost gauge where the clock used to be so could always use that spot if I had to.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You definitely need a good AFR, without it you are flying blind.

I have an AEM Xtreme AFR gage. I wish I had an analog gage though....I think the digital gage bounces around too much and it doesnít fit the look of the car as itís the only digital gage.

I fit mine where the ash tray was....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2019, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

For a gauge you could talk to Westach to build a combo analog boost/afr gauge. I ran a dual afr gauge. Gutted out a clock gauge and installed the Westach into the clock housing. I also prefer analog to digital.
I use a Innovate LC-2. The LC-2 kit came with a digital gauge which I installed in the engine bay. Also a Leask adjustable WUR with a fuel pressure gauge T'd off the WUR. Makes adjustments pretty easy
AEM also makes a combination digital boost/a/f gauge.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I have a brand new Innovate mtx-l plus I didnt end up using. Let me know if you're interested
https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/mtxl_plus.php
Ducati 748R
Old 12-24-2019, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm running a PLX system - and installed in the junk pocket below the blower stuff.
Made a face plate with wrinkle finish. I attached a soft rubber liner on the top and bottom and the fit is snug enough to stay put without screws or glue. The depth of the plate is pushed against a lip down in the pocket. I did epoxy a second lip on the opposite side to align the faceplate parallel.
I believe the latest O2 is a Gen4 4.9
Old 12-24-2019, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I like the idea of an analog gauge and one that has combo boost and afr.

@gumba, do you have any pictures of your Westach gauge in the clock hole?

@drbraunsr - I like that gauge placement. Other than being digital, fits right in and looks stock. Great job.

@dos531, sent you a PM

Last edited by freesaints; 12-24-2019 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: copy change
Old 12-24-2019, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwQMR7q9eMg

analog gauge.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

^^^
like it. I have a digital innovate AFR gauge and boost gauge mounted on the windshield pillar on my 951 track car.

been looking at AFR/boost combo gauges for my 930 restoration to mount in the clock location, and from this thread will look harder for analog.....
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Dominik, I like that analog gauge a lot. Are people using dual AFR/Boost gauges mainly, or just AFR? I've got an aftermarket boost gauge and wondering if I should add the AFR or replace the boost gauge with a dual gauge.

Also, in the event of an EFI conversion, does that render the AFR gauge obsolete/redundant with the ability to program the mixture, or would one of these gauges still be relevant?
Old 12-24-2019, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

This is a dual a/f, but they can build pretty much any combo.
Having a a/f gauge in the dash can give you a heads up to coming grief. I ran dual a a/f gauge in our race car, and on the track I noticed one side went lean. Pulled off and later discovered it was a pulled head stud.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freesaints View Post
Dominik, I like that analog gauge a lot. Are people using dual AFR/Boost gauges mainly, or just AFR? I've got an aftermarket boost gauge and wondering if I should add the AFR or replace the boost gauge with a dual gauge.

Also, in the event of an EFI conversion, does that render the AFR gauge obsolete/redundant with the ability to program the mixture, or would one of these gauges still be relevant?
You dont necessarily need the afr gauge itself when using EFI, but you will still need a wideband to feed info to the ECU. I run an innovate lc1 that feeds the ms3pro, but I dont have a gauge anymore. I can display the afr and other engine parameters via bluetooth on my phone now.
Ducati 748R
Old 12-24-2019, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage

it is a useful indicator for checking. Since I like Kokeln products, I have my own Kokeln gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesaints View Post

Old 12-25-2019, 02:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Old car guy.....

Garage

I have a boost gauge in the clock hole.
My control pressure gauge, AFR and voltmeter in console.
I have the LC2 from innovate which came with a hand held meter attached to pass side of console which will record map (boost), afr, control pressure etc.
The afr gauge from innovate is wired to the meter.
1981 SC Steel Widebody, DP Lid, 930/51 to 3.2l, K27 7006 Turbo, DOD, P&P Twin Plug heads, Twinfire Ignition, Ruf Intercooler, Powerhaus headers, Zork, CIS Euro FD, 009 injectors, 044 pump, BLwur, 930 4 sp LSD, Mocal 44 w/fan, LM2, Brembo, Retroair, Euromeisters
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I have my AFR gage in the ashtray area, my clock houses my hidden Valentine 1 display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-25-2019, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: