Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
modern battery charging voltage??

My 2007 Saturn Vue has a battery charging fault light that comes on when I start it. So I was thinking I have an alternator going .. So I bought a new alternator ( haven't installed it yet) but to double check I put in a voltage gauge/ usb charger in the cig lighter and have been monitoring it.. Seems to like 13.8-14.1 volts .. Ok so I'm thinking that correct ,, might be a spike once in a while that I don't catch ( diode in the alternator going bad?).
Now Im on a road trip so used another usb charger/ volt meter set up for a spare charger in my 2014 buick.. I"m noticing that the voltage goes up as high as 15.1 V once in a while and down as low as 12.6 Volts..

So my question is.. what do modern cars charge at ? With my buick it seems that they are all digitally controlled as the voltage does seem to fall as the battery gets topped off, but the initial charge still seems high..

91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 12-24-2019, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Ok meant to post this in off topic but what the hell. We all know turbo guys are the smartest ones on the forums anyway!!!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 12-24-2019, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Don't know what modern cars charge to. I would think around 13.5-14V would be safe. Maybe check online for info on the Vue.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
what do modern cars charge at ?
Think this is more of a regulator thing than an alternator, but since I fitted the ClassicRetrofit 175A alternator (modern "small" frame 6 phase hairpin Denso in a custom billet case), Motec logs 14.5V as ECU voltage after the battery recovers from starting (minute or so).

The Bosch reman I took out was logging 14.1V.

I do notice that gauge readings like oil pressure don't tick down anymore when I switch the lights on... And the lights are a lot brighter too - with relays/fuse panel, 10 year old stock 55/60w bulbs were already white, now they're brighter still... To the point where I've had a pair of Philips ExtremeVision +130 bulbs waiting to go into the 911 for a couple of years (ever since I fitted one to the Ducati and was impressed by the improvement), but has never seemed urgent enough to get around to fitting them.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Saturn,
chances are the battery is going bad. could be that the battery voltage is dropping too low when cranking.

buick
looks like a alternator.

take then both to some place like advance and let them test everything for freeeeeeeeeee!
much better than guessing
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 12-31-2019, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Go here to learn all about batteries, all kinds. More than you'll ever want to know.
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: