Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Stranger on the Internet

Keep the 930. Someday the kids loans will be paid off.
Hard to imagine a 930 with a fodded turbo needs everything in the engine replaced. You'll find a good deal soon enough on a powerplant, and life will again be normal.
Don't sell the car.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Registered

Paul - I am sorry. This sucks. I somewhat know the pain as my 930 has been for the most part broken for the last 5.5-6yrs, even after cubic dollars at 'premiere' shops here in the PNW. I have literally thousands of hours into it and it makes 180hp to the wheels.

Let us know what you need and lets get a plan together.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 05-07-2020, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
16 Volt,

Take your car to Monty at Redmond European, he is the air cooled guru around these parts.

Yes Gerber is good, yes John's cars is a good place too.

But trust me, you will not be disappointed with Monty, tell him Mark Cannaday sent you.

Mark
Old 05-08-2020, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Volt View Post
Paul - I am sorry. This sucks. I somewhat know the pain as my 930 has been for the most part broken for the last 5.5-6yrs, even after cubic dollars at 'premiere' shops here in the PNW. I have literally thousands of hours into it and it makes 180hp to the wheels.

Let us know what you need and lets get a plan together.
Dude that bums me out that your car STILL isnít working right!!

Paul - Iím also bummed for your situation. I wish I could actually help both of you guys but all I can do is provide moral support.

Or a carrot. Get em fixed and drive to Colorado and our Gruppe will show you a hell of a weekends worth of driving.

Brandon
Ď91 Turbo
Old 05-09-2020, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
16 Volt,

Take your car to Monty at Redmond European, he is the air cooled guru around these parts.

Yes Gerber is good, yes John's cars is a good place too.

But trust me, you will not be disappointed with Monty, tell him Mark Cannaday sent you.

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo ride View Post
Dude that bums me out that your car STILL isnít working right!!

Paul - Iím also bummed for your situation. I wish I could actually help both of you guys but all I can do is provide moral support.

Or a carrot. Get em fixed and drive to Colorado and our Gruppe will show you a hell of a weekends worth of driving.

Brandon
Ď91 Turbo
Thanks - yeah, its not been a good run with this car for sure. I have just sort of given up, too much money, too much heartbreak. I would think about Redmond Euro but I just cant drop another 5K into a shop to do a diagnosis and tell me it needs to be on stand alone because there is no fuel. Chris's German charged me 600 bucks for a fuel filter and leaning the car out so bad it was un-driveable....7wks in the shop. Anyway, not about me.

That being said, I have tons of spares and misc I can offer up to help you out Paul. New and used, I would happily help you out.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
16Volt, I've been reading this forum for 6 years, and I have never heard of a single case where an owner can't get his car working, especially after 6 years! Can you summarize in one short post?
Old 05-17-2020, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
16Volt, I've been reading this forum for 6 years, and I have never heard of a single case where an owner can't get his car working, especially after 6 years! Can you summarize in one short post?
Frankly, why I haven't posted here more about it is that its embarrassing. Everyone here has always been super helpful. I will bump my old thread here, couldn't hurt.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Frankly, why I haven't posted here more about it is that its embarrassing. Everyone here has always been super helpful. I will bump my old thread here, couldn't hurt.
Nothing wrong with having a broken car. That's why this forum exists. But, you've maintained a massive 6 year thread on Vortex, yet have not posted your story here, where you can get actual help.

Reading your initial "possible purchase" thread, it seems like you're a careful and considerate type who tread lightly with eyes open. You're clearly intelligent and write very well. In hindsight, it's heartbreaking to read comments like "Value to me is the ratio of time spent sitting in the garage or repair shop versus time spent behind the wheel. The value ultimately to me is being able to hop in the car whenever the mood strikes and weather permits." or I cant stand to let a car sit with issues. I do feel really bad that it didn't work out the way you had hoped. Maybe I feel bad since it could have been any of us 911 n00bs who are not semi-pro mechanics.

Mentally, you've probably gotten used to having a perma-paperweight in the garage at this point, and need an outsider to do a hard reboot. Like a hoarder who can't see the filth they live in? It's time to use a forum for your benefit, not others entertainment. Bite the bullet. Start a new thread, and summarize the history, what you've done to date, and ask for next steps. That's what I would do anyway.

Last edited by sugarwood; 05-18-2020 at 06:27 AM..
Old 05-18-2020, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Thanks much Shannon for the encouragement and offer of support, I really appreciate it.

Yeah, really heartbreaking to hear your unfortunate experience with yours. Agreed with sharing current status here and hopefully folks here (much smarter than me ) can try to help you figure it out!

Try one last time not to bail, my friend!

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-18-2020, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
There are lots of heartbreaking stories that have been told on this forum, and in my opinion most of them involved enthusiastic owners getting screwed over by ďprofessionalsĒ which appears to be the case here.

I had some issues with work done by ďprosĒ early in my 930 ownership, and that experience is what pushed me into hardcore DIY. Since then, Iíve farmed some work out to pros, but am fortunate to have found my way to a shop that walks the walk (as opposed to talking the talk).

Long story short, if you have the tools, time, and mindset, I have no doubt the car can be sorted with help from this forum. But if youíve lost that loving feeling, thatís ok too.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I know weíre ****ting up Paulís thread, but itís Paul so who cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
There are lots of heartbreaking stories that have been told on this forum, and in my opinion most of them involved enthusiastic owners getting screwed over by ďprofessionalsĒ which appears to be the case here.
When I bought my 930 the first thing that went on it was the CV joint. I bought a new axle and swapped it. About 100 miles later on a morning commute to NJ, it came loose on I287 and I got it towed to a reputable shop in Nyack, NY. Figured screw it, let him Fix it and look the car over sort of as a retrospective PPI. When the car was ready I was presented with a $1,500 bill for numerous, unauthorized and in hindsight wildly overpriced service work. From that moment on Iíve learned everything I need to know from this board, various manuals and books, and a very narrow list of experts. Iíve had to level-up but itís been a good run.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
I know weíre ****ting up Paulís thread, but itís Paul so who cares...

When I bought my 930 the first thing that went on it was the CV joint. I bought a new axle and swapped it. About 100 miles later on a morning commute to NJ, it came loose on I287 and I got it towed to a reputable shop in Nyack, NY. Figured screw it, let him Fix it and look the car over sort of as a retrospective PPI. When the car was ready I was presented with a $1,500 bill for numerous, unauthorized and in hindsight wildly overpriced service work. From that moment on Iíve learned everything I need to know from this board, various manuals and books, and a very narrow list of experts. Iíve had to level-up but itís been a good run.
That shop(if it's the same one I'm thinking) in "Nyack" burned me as well. Unfortunately getting burn takes the enthusiasm away. Luckily some shops still deal in fairness and honesty but those are few and far between.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

The owner of the "shop in Nyack" may have been a good driver and all, but the people that worked there were a**holes. I think of them every time I use my 300# torque wrench.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ken,
I got your reply, but your inbox is full.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Who the heck would give this thread a one star?!? I just gave it a 5 star to bump its rating up. I wish pelican would drop this silly rating system.

Paul...I'm glad that you decided to keep your 930. There's always a way for your kids to get college funds (i.e. scholarships, loans, part time work, etc.).

Old 05-23-2020, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: