Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
beancounter

Nice progress Ken. Sealing up the bottom end is pretty satisfying, even if it’s a little stressful for us DIY guys.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Big steps last few days:
Mock assembly to check piston deck height at TDC
Rings filed to fit
Installed on pistons
Right-side circlips installed
Pistons installed in cylinders

Next up - install head studs, drop each piston on each rod and install left-side circlips.

Last edited by gsxrken; 05-23-2020 at 12:52 PM..
Old 05-23-2020, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I`m a bit envious about your project. I would love a full engine rebuild. maby not the cost. My project is on hold for about a month because of wait time for a Spec clutch.

Keep it up and keep updating. Great for learning
Porsche 930 `79 #973
Old 05-23-2020, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
As I said before you are moving along quick! It's great to see others sharing their work. Not too many people take their time to take photos and post their progress.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Registered

Nice work Ken.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Awesome work Ken.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Thanks boys. No engine progress this weekend, but a tremendous accomplishment for my oldest son. He completed his 4 years at West Point and was sworn in as an Army officer this weekend. We had some immediate family over to witness the process... a unique opportunity as it was an online oath due to the virus, as opposed to at the Graduation ceremony. It's been nice having him around again after 4 years of mostly at West Point. My dad heart is proud.

WP Grad photo

Then today we rocked the Murph Challenge. Not getting any **** done for the rest of the day after that workout. He finished about 20 minutes before the rest of us, lol.

2020 Murph with fam
Old 05-25-2020, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
PorscheMoparLiterbike

Congratulations! A great achievement.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Registered

Congratulations to your family and son...that’s an awesome accomplishment. God Bless him on his endeavors!
Old 05-25-2020, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thank you, gentlemen. He’s got quite an adventure ahead of him.

Back at it today.
One of the things you need to keep straight is which way the pistons go. It matters because the piston pin is supposedly offset slightly. There’s a little diagram squiggle with a flywheel looking shape at the end that shows which side faces the flywheel. On one side, they are the left, and on the other they face towards the right. It also matters to the ring gap placement, since you don’t want the oil control rings gaps to be on the bottom of the cylinder where oil puddles and could make it through to the head after sitting and smoke.

Here’s a nice shot of Henry’s Supertec studs. Great guy to speak with- gave me a solid 1/2 hour of pointers during my Q&A with him. Also used his green viton case o-rings and Dow 55 paste to seat them.

Next up is the cam tower shot. Lot going on here. Green wrightwood o-rings on new oil drain back tubes peeking through. New Bellmetric hardware, Supertec head stud nuts, and orange 574 squeezing out of the head to cam tower surface interface. CGarr’s valve spring and retainer in view as well.

Last shot- new oil tubes, powdercoated tins, cam tower mounted. The tins look so nice, too bad they’re essentially invisible once installed. It’s nice to know they’re not going to rust out but mostly it just makes me feel better that they’re squared away. Part of the zen of rebuilding these things is knowing that I didn’t cut any corners. Anything I reused was within a Porsche spec or it was replaced. This is no polishing garage queen stuff, but in some cases form follows function.

It’s starting to look like an engine again.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Congratulations to your son and your family! Really great accomplishment. You must be over the moon.

Rahl
Old 05-26-2020, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
wow Ken... that's supremely cool - congrats to him and your family!!! Good for him!

HOO RAH!

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |

Last edited by krasuskyp; 05-27-2020 at 06:53 AM..
Old 05-27-2020, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Continuing the documentation:

After about an hour of fiddling, I determined that my cam sprocket depth was within the .25mm spec of both sides. The boys in Stuttgart got that right 34 years ago and I guess it doesn’t really change if you reuse the stock stuff in the stock location.

Next thing was the RSR rocker seals and installing the #1 and #4 rocker shafts and rockers. I had zero issues with these, which shocked me with all the horror stories of these tearing or rolling or needed lube to get through? Mine tapped in nicely (dry), and the through-bolts tightened up to the 13lb torque without the 8mm end trying to spin. So fingers crossed the other 10 go as well and these *****es don’t leak on me.

Got to the tricky part of cam timing. The Stomski tooling helps but it’s still finicky as hell. It’s amazing, for example, how touchy the .1mm valve lash adjustment really is. NO WAY I was ever getting this right with the blind feeler gauge over the years! Measure... .07, redo, remeasure... .12, redo, measure .09 etc. I stayed on it till I got .10 b/c it’s so critical to cam timing.

Speaking of cam timing, that was finicky and confusing as hell as well. Wayne’s book has several inconsistencies and you just have to navigate by using your head and thinking about what it is you’re trying to get done and adapting. The cams are another thing that take many attempts; if a butterfly flaps its wings in Japan, the setting moves as you tighten the bolt. If the chains are too tight, the cam moves with the chains even without the bolt or the locating pin. If they’re too loose, it seems the whole deal relaxes after you tighten it.

I ended up printing a 120mm degree wheel from an internet PDF and gluing it to the back of a CD and cutting out a hole that located on the transmission bearing in the crank. I was getting thrown off by the vagueness of the z1 mark and the case parting line. This thing really helped dialed in the cam.

Camgrinder John Dougherty said to set the cams within 1.4-1.7... I split the difference when I landed on 1.54 on both sides and called it a day. It probably took me 8-10 tries to get them right.

I have a growing appreciation for the pros who have to build these 3-4x faster than I am, and are on hook for any issues or leaks resulting in a redo under warranty. Whatever they charge is not enough. For me this is a hobby and I enjoy the precision of it and the deep-dive into ownership this has added even after 18 years with this car, but it wouldn’t be too enjoyable the 2nd time around. My hats off to you guys that have had to go back in, often through no fault of your own.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Well said.

And congrats (on making awesome progress as well as your son's achievement).
Old 05-30-2020, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Congrats on finishing up cam timing and most important of all tell your son I said congrats and thanks for serving our country!
Old 05-31-2020, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Whoa, not sure how I missed seeing your sons graduation! That is beyond awesome. Can't image how proud you must be.

Engine looks good too.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Registered

Congrats all around -- on your son's graduation, and your successful cam timing.
Re-checking the 964 tech spec book, the M7 rocker shaft bolts are 20Nm (15ft.lb.)
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-01-2020, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
beancounter

way to go Ken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
I have a growing appreciation for the pros who have to build these 3-4x faster than I am, and are on hook for any issues or leaks resulting in a redo under warranty. Whatever they charge is not enough. For me this is a hobby and I enjoy the precision of it and the deep-dive into ownership this has added even after 18 years with this car, but it wouldn’t be too enjoyable the 2nd time around. My hats off to you guys that have had to go back in, often through no fault of your own.
Amen to that. When my DIY race engine crapped out, I just didn't have it in me to go through it all again. I might have felt differently if the parts for these engines weren't so dang expensive. When one considers the risk of collateral damage to expensive new parts that go into a complete engine build if something isn't right, the cost of having a pro handle the job can be viewed as "cheap" insurance. Let's face it...these things ain't cheap even when you DIY, but the incremental cost of having it done professionally ends up being a "relatively" small piece of the total. Having said that, the experience of doing a crank out build of a 911 engine yourself is priceless.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Chris- thank you for that. Another thing wrong with a Wayne’s book (although he does say to go to 18ftlbs if you have leaks). I redid cylinder 1 & 4 to 15ftlbs and then installed all the other rocker shafts at that spec. Thank you for the good eye!

Jacob- right as rain again. I have noticed I agree with everything you post, here and off-topic.

I could use a lifeline actually on the scavenger pump stuff.

I bagged everything related to it but I don’t quite get how to reassemble it.
It looks like there is a 3-bolt gasket for the end of the cam housing just like in the rear of the engine behind the chain sprockets. That seems straightforward- my old one is still visible. But there is also an o-ring that I don’t know where it goes, and In searching for it I found a picture here on Pelican that doesn’t make sense to me. Doesn’t seem right to put an o-ring right up against the paper housing gasket, does it, like in this pic?

Also, this poster (sundevil) has a camshaft seal tapped into his housing around the cam that mine didn’t have nor did my wrightwood gasket set come with:

(These next two pics are not mine)

I took the opportunity to clean out the scavenger pump and install a new seal that came with the kit, but now I’m posting here for some help and using the search function big time for the order of assembly for the rest of it.

Last edited by gsxrken; 06-02-2020 at 05:17 PM..
Old 06-02-2020, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
Registered

You'll find you cannot really install the air pump pulley housing wrong on the engine -- the notches for the belt point up.

The pump orientation: outlet (M14) points over the bellhousing, inlet (M16) under the bell housing.

email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-02-2020, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: